Sticky (tacky) Finish
I am making two jewelry (band saw) boxes.  One is made with cherry and one with pine wood.  I treated the pine one with MinWax Pre-Stain Wood

Conditioner which indicates that the first coat of finish should be applied within two hours.  Before I could apply the finish, I had to leave my work

and was not able to return until the next day.  It was tacky and I decided to again apply the conditioner followed by a coat of the finish (General

Finishes Arm-R-Seal Oil and Urethane Topcoat).  The finish has not cured.  It remains tacky after 48 hours.  The cherry box which was finished with the same finish but did not get preconditioned is perfectly fine.  What can I do with this tacky finish?  How can I start over finishing this box?
Confused   I

would appreciate any help.  Thanks.
Was that a fresh can of conditioner, or one that had need sitting around a while?
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(11-22-2017, 06:44 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Was that a fresh can of conditioner, or one that had need sitting around a while?
It was fresh, but contrary to the instructions the first coat of finish was not applied within two hours.  The next day a second coat of conditioner was

applied and the first coat of finish right after.
(11-22-2017, 06:55 AM)Manny Wrote: It was fresh, but contrary to the instructions the first coat of finish was not applied within two hours.  The next day a second coat of conditioner was

applied and the first coat of finish right after.

There's no benefit of wood conditioner under ARS.  If it's still tacky two days later I think the best course of action is to strip it off and start over with only ARS.  You can try removing it with mineral spirits.  If that's not strong enough then it's time for real stripper.  It's not hard and will only take a few minutes.  Be sure to neutralize after the stripper has done it's job; let it dry and then start anew.

John