Lee Valley Shellac
A new product for LV, I read the product description and it didn't say whether it was de-waxed, so I emailed customer service and they said it was.  I told them to amend their product description as this was an important distinction.  So, just FYI, it is dewaxed.....
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(11-22-2017, 02:50 PM)Admiral Wrote: A new product for LV, I read the product description and it didn't say whether it was de-waxed, so I emailed customer service and they said it was.  I told them to amend their product description as this was an important distinction.  So, just FYI, it is dewaxed.....

Yes, it really should say that.

Decent price, but not less than what I can get flakes from Wellermart.  If one was trying to get over the $40-free-shipping hump, this wouldn't be a bad item.

There is no standard in the naming of shellac colors but they did sort of depart from the normal names of blonde, amber, orange and garnet.  But adding color swatches is probably the best thing they could have done outside adding the "dewaxed" designation.  Now all they need to do is sell a super-inexpensive coffee grinder to go with the flakes.
Smile
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(11-24-2017, 04:54 PM)Rob Young Wrote: Now all they need to do is sell a super-inexpensive coffee grinder to go with the flakes.
Smile

I've never really needed a grinder to make shellac from flakes; overnight seems to do the trick for me.  But you do have to filter the results......

After going with flake for many, many years now, I can't understand why anyone would buy Zinsser shellac in the can.
Admiral,
What do you use to slow the stuff down? I apply too slowly for panels, I guess.
Ag
(11-24-2017, 06:17 PM)AgGEM Wrote: Admiral,
What do you use to slow the stuff down? I apply too slowly for panels, I guess.
Ag

Lighter cut, apply quickly, lightly scotchbrite between coats, dries fast, minimum 6 coats. That’s what works for me.
(11-26-2017, 06:55 PM)Admiral Wrote: Lighter cut, apply quickly, lightly scotchbrite between coats, dries fast, minimum 6 coats. That’s what works for me.

Thank you. Love Shellac but hate to apply it on anything large. Will try your suggestions. Soon.