It's Official - I'm Moving Cross-Country
Alan, are you moving all of your woodworking stuff to FL?  I am wondering about the cost of moving a shop if we downsize in the future.  Some people have advised me to sell machinery and repurchase, but I have a new SawStop that I would hate to have to lose money on.  Other hand tools would be easy to safely pack, as I still have most of the boxes.  My move would be a couple of hundred miles at most.
(11-28-2017, 09:36 AM)Mike Brady Wrote: Alan, are you moving all of your woodworking stuff to FL?  I am wondering about the cost of moving a shop if we downsize in the future.  Some people have advised me to sell machinery and repurchase, but I have a new SawStop that I would hate to have to lose money on.  Other hand tools would be easy to safely pack, as I still have most of the boxes.  My move would be a couple of hundred miles at most.

Yep, I'm moving it all.  The househunting isn't very encouraging about being able to have a dedicated shop, so the plan right now is to keep my lathe and bandsaw in the garage, but put the rest in storage until I can figure out how to set up a dedicated shop.  Orlando is full of HOAs that have certain restrictions.

Cost isn't an issue for me, since the company moves everything at no cost to me.  I've had the shop moved before.  Best advice I can give you is to remove tables from the bandsaw and table saw.  Remove the TS rails.  Bag the hardware in a ziplock bag and duct tape it inside the saw cabinet.  MARK EVERYTHING.  Keep your manuals handy for when you rebuild it.  If it's going to be immobile for a long time (more than a couple of months), you might want to remove motor belts, as they tend to take a set and then you'll get some vibration if running afterward.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(11-28-2017, 02:12 PM)AHill Wrote: Yep, I'm moving it all.  The househunting isn't very encouraging about being able to have a dedicated shop, so the plan right now is to keep my lathe and bandsaw in the garage, but put the rest in storage until I can figure out how to set up a dedicated shop.  Orlando is full of HOAs that have certain restrictions.

Cost isn't an issue for me, since the company moves everything at no cost to me.  I've had the shop moved before.  Best advice I can give you is to remove tables from the bandsaw and table saw.  Remove the TS rails.  Bag the hardware in a ziplock bag and duct tape it inside the saw cabinet.  MARK EVERYTHING.  Keep your manuals handy for when you rebuild it.  If it's going to be immobile for a long time (more than a couple of months), you might want to remove motor belts, as they tend to take a set and then you'll get some vibration if running afterward.

I have worked the last 10 years in The Atlanta area and enjoy the mild winter and lack of snow.  I will be retiring in a matter of weeks, and currently live in Wisconsin / work in Atlanta.  Lot of negatives to live in Wi. but one big plus is my basement shop for year round climate controlled shop.  Son lives in Phoenix, wants me to move there, but mostly no basements.   I dont want to use the garage and leave my cars out in the sun to bake.  Same problem with Florida.  Dream was always to wood work more in retirement, but, looking more and more like I stay were I am in Wi. and be bled to death with taxes or give up on another shop.  Getting old sucks, but beats not getting older.
TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN, YET THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE, SO ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS.
It's not just Orlando with the HOA restrictions. We were house shopping in the Jupiter area and most communities wouldn't let you park a pickup truck in the driveway. Had to be in the garage.

As it turned out the job was not what I was looking for.
chris
(11-30-2017, 10:00 AM)doobes Wrote: It's not just Orlando with the HOA restrictions. We were house shopping in the Jupiter area and most communities wouldn't let you park a pickup truck in the driveway. Had to be in the garage.

As it turned out the job was not what I was looking for.

I don't have a pickup, so that won't be a problem!  If I need to haul large quantities of wood, I rent one.

This is my 27th move (military brat growing up and 11 years active duty, plus 5 moves post-active duty).  I think I can write a book on how to move successfully.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Is this a common thing not being allowed to have home shop equipment? I assume that this is clustered housing like townhouses. There must be issues caused my routers and tablesaws. I ask because not everyone can stay in a single family house in their retirement. There is a Del Webb community near me that has a very nice shop facility but I’m not sure if it precludes having your own.
(12-01-2017, 05:24 PM)Mike Brady Wrote: Is this a common thing not being allowed to have home shop equipment?  I assume that this is clustered housing like townhouses. There must be issues caused my routers and tablesaws.  I ask because not everyone can stay in a single family house in their retirement.  There is a Del Webb community near me that has a very nice shop facility but I’m not sure if it precludes having your own.

I think in Florida it's more related to retirement communities, where the residents are home 24/7 and don't have much tolerance for loud noises.  I'm keeping my eyes open and will let my realtor know of my desires to ultimately have a shop - likely not in my garage.  For now, I think I'll keep the turning equipment, bandsaw, and drill press in the garage, and put the other power tools in storage until I can figure out a more long-term plan.  Momma doesn't want a cluttered garage.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(12-02-2017, 12:56 PM)AHill Wrote: SNIP<  Momma doesn't want a cluttered garage.

You mean she wants to park her car in it.....
Smirk
(12-02-2017, 12:56 PM)AHill Wrote: I think in Florida it's more related to retirement communities, where the residents are home 24/7 and don't have much tolerance for loud noises.  I'm keeping my eyes open and will let my realtor know of my desires to ultimately have a shop - likely not in my garage.  For now, I think I'll keep the turning equipment, bandsaw, and drill press in the garage, and put the other power tools in storage until I can figure out a more long-term plan.  Momma doesn't want a cluttered garage.
Shop around, Alan..There are plenty of places available outside of HOA's...Then too, there are HOA's that aren't so restrictive..I live in an HOA and it's pretty much "live and let live"....My son OTOH, lives in one that requires all the mailboxes look the same...Can't change the color of your house without approval from the HOA Police!!!!....I am surprised that they don't have "junk on the bunk" inspections and close order drill on the parade deck!!!!!!!
Angry
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Richard, sounds like you're having fun down there however we still miss you up in Ohio. Maybe one of these days I'll be able to come down and visit. Hopefully you're doing some decent rust hunting.

Best to you and your wife, Charles