Box for outside electric outlets
The house has no outlets on the front but is currently down to studs after the stucco was ripped off. I can put a couple of outlet boxes in while I've got the chance.

Over the studs will be 1/2" plywood and Hardie Siding

What kind of boxes do I need? I see the blue plastic ones that fasten to the front of the stud and stick out 1/2" which I suppose is for drywall. Do I need further stick out? I could also surface mount lower to the rim joist.

Thanks,
Rich
"Have a very small amount of things to work with." Henri Cartier-Bresson
You can buy exterior weatherproof boxes that come with a weatherproof cover.They are gray in color.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
If you're going exterior, I'd make it GFCI too.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(11-22-2017, 09:57 PM)Gary G™ Wrote: If you're going exterior, I'd make it GFCI too.

Forgot to mention that Gary,thanks.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
This my personal/professional opinion on exterior fixtures, formed by experience dealing with various methods and levels of craftsmanship I've encountered. I prefer a surface mounted box over anything recessed into the sheathing. Too often, I have had to replace sheathing and framing all the way to the sill because a light fixture or receptacle cover allowed water to seep into the wall. This has created my standard practice of adhering a large piece of ice and water shield to the sheathing, (I try to bring the bottom back out to the face of the siding whenever possible.) and securely surface mounting the box with a generous amount of G.E. silicone around and in the wall penetration. Yes the weather tight boxes are large, but the new "in use" protective covers are even larger, so you won't be able to get the flush look like we used to anyway. Shallow pans (4" round x 3/4" deep) are great for most lights but strictly following code, the fixture canopy has zero cubic inches, so you're limited to one, 14/2 awg cable. (I had to change two of three on the front of a 2 car garage to recessed to pass my rough; the owner changed them back before the finish!) Some of the new LED floods come with surface mount boxes that easily pass as a decorative part of the fixture, and I've frequently had boxes painted to match the siding.

If you have to go with recessed, consider weather-tight boxes recessed only to the depth required. You can still seal them with ice and water shield and lots of G.E. silicone, and the box itself won't leak into the house. I think you should try to make it stay waterproof for at least as long as your Hardi siding will last; basically forever.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"