Upgrading shop lights to LED ?
(11-30-2017, 07:07 AM)JimReed@Tallahassee Wrote: That dust cloud is just a sign that the shop needs a blowout. Put on your dust mask, open the doors, crank up the compressor, and blow away.

Leaf Blowers work great!

Anyway, those bulbs are on sale now. I'll get some credit and buy more. Here's a link to the ad they sent this morning;  https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-32-W-...1000083437  Five year warrantee too.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
(11-30-2017, 10:27 AM)MstrCarpenter Wrote: Leaf Blowers work great!

Anyway, those bulbs are on sale now. I'll get some credit and buy more. Here's a link to the ad they sent this morning;  https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-32-W-...1000083437  Five year warrantee too.

Wow!  Four bucks a pop.  I don't think fluorescent tubes cost that little.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
I recently replaced 4 dual tube 8" fluoroscent fixtures with stipe LED lights (12V) powered by a left-over pc 12V power supply.  Inspiration was
http://www.mattcremona.com/shop-projects...ght-strips
If you shop around on Amazon or Ebay for strip lights (I used ~6000K sunlight LEDs) and 12 V LED power supplies, you can engineer a very low cost replacement solution for fluoroscents and even put out more light than the units they replace.

Warren
I just got some of the 8 ft tubes from green light depot and boy are they nice and bright.  Easy to change over just removed the ballast and wire direct.  Also I ordered them on Tuesday and got them today super fast shipping.  I just placed another order for over my CNC but those are 4 footers and free shipping with orders over $99 Thanks Tinman
(11-27-2017, 10:46 PM)JimReed@Tallahassee Wrote: I replaced my hanging fixtures because it was easier. I found the new LEDs at Costco. They are lightweight and easy to install. They also daisy chain because the LEDs draw so little electricity. The daisy chaining makes it easy to set up a string to light different areas. All can be switched individually but there is only one cord to deal with at the outlet. The new lights really make a big difference.

The newest ones I saw at BJ's Club say that they can be "ganged" up to 10 units.  They have a small outlet at the ends of the light that allow you to hook all the lights to a single plug.  It seems like it would be very handy.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
the lowes tubes show they aren't in my store and can't be delivered.  Good to know they might have them in the future, I think the ones that still require a ballast are really just money wasted, since the ballasts go pretty regularly.  But even then, I bought 8 of them at $10 apiece and haven't really regretted it
(11-30-2017, 08:37 PM)TDKPE Wrote: Wow!  Four bucks a pop.  I don't think fluorescent tubes cost that little.

I should'a bought them when I posted this.  They're $8 each now, and no longer stocked.  

Despicable me.  
Slap
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
LED Bulbs

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
I found some at Lowes yesterday for $5.49 ea. I believe they were a clearance item. I bought six.
Not all bulbs are the same.. light output varies wildly depending on the bulb. Cheap bulbs may not be that great of a deal. Make sure to take a look a the specs. If they are cheap enough, then you can throw more bulbs at it and get the same result as a higher output bulb.