toy chest ideas and hinges
ok guys, what would you use to keep those little fingers from getting crunched?  the sugatsune or the rockler torsion hinge?  the rockler looks much easier to fasten to the box however you guys know this much better than i do!  or perhaps there's another hinge out there that you recommend?  i'm looking to build a simple toy chest - she's not 100% sure of the design yet so i'm not sure if it'll be solid wood or ply? if you have any ideas, i could use those as well, lol.  i used to have all the tools (8" jointer, cyclone, etc.) but now i'm limited to a table saw, router, drill press, jig saw, band saw, miter saw, etc.  box needs to be relatively easy.  no raised panels.  four kids in sports so i don't have a ton of free time. i  appreciate any help!!
I've used the Rockler hinges on two toy chests.  If you pay attention to the formula they have to assure you get the proper weight hinges, they work extremely well.
Take off a full blade, nope, too long, now take off 1/2 blade, nope, too long, now take off 1/4 blade - How the H--- can it be 1/4" short????
I am getting ready to start natal my 5th set of the Rockler hinges and couldn't be happier. You will not be dissapointed with them.
Fill your heart with compassion, seek the jewel in every soul, share a word of kindness, and remember; the people's what it's about.
Capt. Tony Tarracino

Glad to hear this... I ordered the rockler torsion hinges and have started on the Christmas toy box for granddaughter #6. It will be maple ply and walnut, with some extras.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
(11-23-2017, 01:23 PM)joshua5 Wrote: ok guys, what would you use to keep those little fingers from getting crunched?  the sugatsune or the rockler torsion hinge?  the rockler looks much easier to fasten to the box however you guys know this much better than i do!  or perhaps there's another hinge out there that you recommend?  i'm looking to build a simple toy chest - she's not 100% sure of the design yet so i'm not sure if it'll be solid wood or ply? if you have any ideas, i could use those as well, lol.  i used to have all the tools (8" jointer, cyclone, etc.) but now i'm limited to a table saw, router, drill press, jig saw, band saw, miter saw, etc.  box needs to be relatively easy.  no raised panels.  four kids in sports so i don't have a ton of free time. i  appreciate any help!!

Sliding doors in front rather than a lift lid.  Sliding doors above, but at an angle.  The sliding doors can be made from white melamine material, then buy some dry erase markers to go with the toybox.

__
  /  |
 |___|

Just a thought.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
I too used Rockler hinges when I built my granddaughter's toy box, couldn't be any happier.

Colin
(11-23-2017, 01:23 PM)joshua5 Wrote: ok guys, what would you use to keep those little fingers from getting crunched?  the sugatsune or the rockler torsion hinge?  the rockler looks much easier to fasten to the box however you guys know this much better than i do!  or perhaps there's another hinge out there that you recommend?  i'm looking to build a simple toy chest - she's not 100% sure of the design yet so i'm not sure if it'll be solid wood or ply? if you have any ideas, i could use those as well, lol.  i used to have all the tools (8" jointer, cyclone, etc.) but now i'm limited to a table saw, router, drill press, jig saw, band saw, miter saw, etc.  box needs to be relatively easy.  no raised panels.  four kids in sports so i don't have a ton of free time. i  appreciate any help!!

Hello , another vote for the Rockler hinges , yes use the calculator on their site to get the hinge you need . I just finished my grandaughters toybox and the hinges do & will hold the lid where you want it , no slamming down . Gary