Kitchen slide-out cutting board
Hey friends,

A family member needs to replace a worn-out kitchen cutting board.  It’s one of those that slides out from below the coutertop.  The original is made of 3/4” plywood of some sort and is about 2’ deep by 3’ wide with solid wood front lip/handle.

Have any of you replaced one of these?  Mainly, I’m asking about the type of material you used - solid wood like maple, or a plywood material again?  

I would be comfortable making a solid wood panel but I’m a little concerned about keeping it flat across a 3’ width.

Thanks,
Dave
Could you orient the grain the other way, so that you only have to ensure flat across 2 feet?

Ed
Ed
If it were me...........solid panel with bread board ends.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(11-24-2017, 09:32 AM)Ed in NC Wrote: Could you orient the grain the other way, so that you only have to ensure flat across 2 feet?

Ed
After watching the abuse my mom inflicted on our pullout, I would be hesitant to switch the grain direction. Plywood was probably a good choice.

As a matter of fact, after thinking, how would a 1/4" veneer over a 1/2" substrate work out?? Or a 3/8 and 3/8 maybe? Too much shrinkage??
Or a 1/4 substrate with a 1/4 veneer on each side- my mom's was reversible, one solid and one with a groove routed around the perimeter.
I think I would consider making it mainly out of ply for stability. Maybe use hardwood edges where they slide. The main change I would consider is using soft plastic cutting board material as a removable cutting surface. The plastic cutting surface would only need to be as large as what gets exposed when pulled out. Also, it could be removed and put in the dishwasher and easily replaced if ever needed.
(11-24-2017, 09:43 AM)Bill Holt Wrote: If it were me...........solid panel with bread board ends.

This is how the higher end cabinet companies, and cabinet contractors do it most often.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(11-24-2017, 04:06 PM)Steve N Wrote: This is how the higher end cabinet companies, and cabinet contractors do it most often.

Thanks for all the responses guys.  So are the solid boards laid up longways (3’ boards) with the breadboard ends or laid up with 2’ boards with a long breadboard “end” at the front and back?
I am no expert, but I doubt there is a "wrong direction"; my guess, most would run the grain the long direction.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(11-24-2017, 08:28 PM)djcook50 Wrote: Thanks for all the responses guys.  So are the solid boards laid up longways (3’ boards) with the breadboard ends or laid up with 2’ boards with a long breadboard “end” at the front and back?

I believe I would lay the boards up with the length going the 2 foot deep direction.  If you run the length of the board the width of the opening you will have unsupported glue joints or grain waiting for someone to lean on it.  The breadboard ends may be enough support for the glue joints I'm just not sure I would trust it.

BTH
(11-25-2017, 09:49 AM)BTH Wrote: I believe I would lay the boards up with the length going the 2 foot deep direction.  If you run the length of the board the width of the opening you will have unsupported glue joints or grain waiting for someone to lean on it.  The breadboard ends may be enough support for the glue joints I'm just not sure I would trust it.

BTH

Good suggestion BTH.  That's probably the way I'm headed.  Thanks!