Best paint for enclosed windows?
I've got some insulated window panes I'm going to use in my new shop.  They are 22"x 64" but only have about a 1/4" air gap so I'm concerned they won't have much insulation value.  I've got enough that I'm going to double them up in a "box" that I will insert between studs (24" oc).  The boxes will be grooved to fit the panes and slide into the opening.

My question is what paint should I use on the inside of the boxes?  I'm concerned that the paint will emit gasses and fog the windows when the sun hits them.

[Image: PZ9LBHP]imgur link to drawing  (since image doesn't seem to want to show up
Rolleyes  )

Or should I just leave the wood raw???
Confused
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
I would cut a dado for the inside panel and use an applied retainer. You could remove the inside panel easily for cleaning and allow a coat of paint to fully cure before installing the inside panel.

Edit to add this would ease installation as the complete assemblies will be heavy.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

The best exterior paint I’ve ever used is Benjamin Moore Aura. Put it on bare wood window sashes and it has performed outstandingly for a few years now.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
(11-24-2017, 03:03 PM)blackhat Wrote: I would cut a dado for the inside panel and use an applied retainer. You could remove the inside panel easily for cleaning and allow a coat of paint to fully cure before installing the inside panel.

Edit to add this would ease installation as the complete assemblies will be heavy.

I will second this approach.   Even without the out gassing issue some day it will need cleaning between the panes.   Roly
(11-25-2017, 12:42 PM)Roly Wrote:  I will second this approach.   Even without the out gassing issue some day it will need cleaning between the panes.   Roly

I have a storm window for my picture window.  The groove that accepts the storm at the top is twice as deep as the one on the bottom.  

To install the storm I lift the storm up into the upper groove and then let it settle into the lower one.  

Thumb screws lock everything in place:

[Image: 61tj83STIbL._SY355_PIbundle-8,TopRight,0...5SH20_.jpg]

I think all storm windows are done this way.  The hardware is available from Amazon.com or Lowes or Home Depot.

Screen clips  might work even better (very cheap)

[Image: 61me1-XiGmL._SL1500_.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.