An Exterior Door with Lites - Part 4
Here's a link to Part 3.       

I made the moldings and fillers needed to install the lites.  I glued the exterior side pieces in place before finishing the rest of the door.  There is a piece of molding to cover over the top of the floating panels; it also creates a rabbet for the glass to set into. 

[Image: HnSbb7NwTuv9lVE35j-CsWTLCSr0titv4nhC9r4R...38-h628-no]

It's just glued in place.

[Image: qbCIXwoSjD9G0BRp89aQXWglTJ8LDv_9Y0Fb87RC...38-h628-no]

The other molding parts look like this.  The one on the left is white ash, on the right is white oak.  Those parts have a small rabbet to receive the weatherstripping.  

[Image: RmWwjwUqjm296V1GsGmFn8pCRuN5JPgf7uyulY_L...38-h628-no]

The white oak parts were glued in place.

[Image: GaGB0Is2ldt2bqAgMwpgfRMPHGD6gaAyIZu_LX5l...71-h628-no]

And then I finished the rest of the door and moldings and the frame.  With that done I drilled the holes for the lockset and cut the mortises for the deadbolt and latch escutcheons using a simple template in the same way I cut the hinge pockets.  Then I installed the lites.  This photo shows the rabbet the glued in moldings create to receive the glass.  The black foam is a 1/8" thick x 3.8" wide EPDM peel and stick foam window weatherstripping.  I cut pieces to sit in the rabbets in the back of the molding and installed them. 

[Image: F2CHlOwUrDxPi5twhTZv_rW_CngpUuuQ25Ptn2ct...38-h628-no]

With that done I installed filler strips to fill in the mortises around the lites flush with the inside of the door, roughly 3/8" thick.  The width of those strips is exactly the same as the thickness as the two pieces of glass plus the spacer between them, roughly 5/8".  

[Image: AIs5E-wSOuL4zesRTK7EKM156SYNLUASu1E8SEv7...38-h628-no]

I pin nailed the filler strips in place.  Now you can see how the glass gets captured.  

[Image: i24X6C60nN_9zvOg0b7-ZE883Tm58ULR_lM7cPhN...38-h628-no]

I dropped a piece of glass in place, smoother side out, and then installed the little spacers, pin nailing them to the fillers.

[Image: fwd26QGWvX5ydTKDA2VXVEOpCBj4M6NGgzgw5-zR...38-h628-no]

Now the second piece of glass could be laid in place.  I put a couple of small dabs of silicone at the top and bottom of each lite to make sure they don't rattle.  The last pieces of molding were the L-shaped ash pieces I showed above.  The wider one was installed over the floating panel, just like on the outside, and then the smaller ones were cut and slid into the mortise left between the filler pieces and door. 

[Image: 9v7V2DRH6ECA7WpVcDdaKi-2rhAWZbJs55Hf3_1s...38-h628-no]

I had thought about using small brass brads or screws to hold the moldings in place, but ended up just pin nailing them in 3 or 4 places.  If they ever have to be removed it will still be possible, just a little more difficult. 

Just need to finish up the door frame and then it will be time for installation.  Thanks for following along.

John
Good stuff.
(11-25-2017, 08:01 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Here's a link to Part 3.       

I made the moldings and fillers needed to install the lites.  I glued the exterior side pieces in place before finishing the rest of the door.  There is a piece of molding to cover over the top of the floating panels; it also creates a rabbet for the glass to set into. 

[Image: HnSbb7NwTuv9lVE35j-CsWTLCSr0titv4nhC9r4R...38-h628-no]

It's just glued in place.

[Image: qbCIXwoSjD9G0BRp89aQXWglTJ8LDv_9Y0Fb87RC...38-h628-no]

The other molding parts look like this.  The one on the left is white ash, on the right is white oak.  Those parts have a small rabbet to receive the weatherstripping.  

[Image: RmWwjwUqjm296V1GsGmFn8pCRuN5JPgf7uyulY_L...38-h628-no]

The white oak parts were glued in place.

[Image: GaGB0Is2ldt2bqAgMwpgfRMPHGD6gaAyIZu_LX5l...71-h628-no]

And then I finished the rest of the door and moldings and the frame.  With that done I drilled the holes for the lockset and cut the mortises for the deadbolt and latch escutcheons using a simple template in the same way I cut the hinge pockets.  Then I installed the lites.  This photo shows the rabbet the glued in moldings create to receive the glass.  The black foam is a 1/8" thick x 3.8" wide EPDM peel and stick foam window weatherstripping.  I cut pieces to sit in the rabbets in the back of the molding and installed them. 

[Image: F2CHlOwUrDxPi5twhTZv_rW_CngpUuuQ25Ptn2ct...38-h628-no]

With that done I installed filler strips to fill in the mortises around the lites flush with the inside of the door, roughly 3/8" thick.  The width of those strips is exactly the same as the thickness as the two pieces of glass plus the spacer between them, roughly 5/8".  

[Image: AIs5E-wSOuL4zesRTK7EKM156SYNLUASu1E8SEv7...38-h628-no]

I pin nailed the filler strips in place.  Now you can see how the glass gets captured.  

[Image: i24X6C60nN_9zvOg0b7-ZE883Tm58ULR_lM7cPhN...38-h628-no]

I dropped a piece of glass in place, smoother side out, and then installed the little spacers, pin nailing them to the fillers.

[Image: fwd26QGWvX5ydTKDA2VXVEOpCBj4M6NGgzgw5-zR...38-h628-no]

Now the second piece of glass could be laid in place.  I put a couple of small dabs of silicone at the top and bottom of each lite to make sure they don't rattle.  The last pieces of molding were the L-shaped ash pieces I showed above.  The wider one was installed over the floating panel, just like on the outside, and then the smaller ones were cut and slid into the mortise left between the filler pieces and door. 

[Image: 9v7V2DRH6ECA7WpVcDdaKi-2rhAWZbJs55Hf3_1s...38-h628-no]

I had thought about using small brass brads or screws to hold the moldings in place, but ended up just pin nailing them in 3 or 4 places.  If they ever have to be removed it will still be possible, just a little more difficult. 

Just need to finish up the door frame and then it will be time for installation.  Thanks for following along.

John

Beautiful work, as usual John! Thanks for sharing the techniques.

Doug
What finish is on that door John...............Satin............
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(11-27-2017, 11:31 AM)Stwood_ Wrote: What finish is on that door John...............Satin............

Enduro Clear Poly satin on the inside, in the picture above, and Exterior 450 Satin on the outside.  The sheen on the inside looks more like semi gloss than satin to me, maybe due to the Sealcoat toner coats underneath.  I should have added some additional flatters to the last coat.  

I'll have more pictures after installation tomorrow. 

John