Mortise or Tenon First
I've always chopped the tenon first then matched the mortise to the tenon until today.

I just did some mortises first and matched the tenon to it. I think I like it better, I believe i am more precise and I find it easier to position the face of the board where I want it then mark the tenon on the but end.

Can't be the only one or is this a long standing argument along the lines of tails first or pins first. Doesn't matter which as long as you're comfortable with it, right?
Bruce.
Always mortise first, fit tenon. I can’t see any other way.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(11-26-2017, 04:39 PM)Admiral Wrote: Always mortise first, fit tenon. I can’t see any other way.

agree
I, also, do the mortises first. Match the tenons to fit. Shoulder planes are perfect for tuning up tenons, but they don't fit so easily into mortises.
(11-26-2017, 04:35 PM)stillgotten Wrote: I've always chopped the tenon first then matched the mortise to the tenon until today.

I just did some mortises first and matched the tenon to it. I think I like it better, I believe i am more precise and I find it easier to position the face of the board where I want it then mark the tenon on the but end.

Can't be the only one or is this a long standing argument along the lines of tails first or pins first. Doesn't matter which as long as you're comfortable with it, right?

First, make the female half of any joint, then the male half to conform. My wife of 47 years says so.
SOP to do the mortise first as the width normally is dictated by the width of your chisel for efficiencies sake.
(11-26-2017, 05:49 PM)Greg Wease Wrote: First, make the female half of any joint, then the male half to conform. My wife of 47 years says so.

Outstanding. My bride of 42 years got a kick out of your analysis!
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Always ..tenons get made first.....I use them to mark out the mortises...

But, then again, I do pins first, as well.....
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Much easier to fit tenon to mortise than vice versa.