Restrictions on moving lumber across state lines?
I'm thinking about storing some lumber at my parents' house in DE.  I live in Montgomery County, MD.  It's mostly walnut, some ash, and cherry.  The walnut and ash were only air dried.  Are there restrictions on transporting this lumber across state lines?  I will need to rent a trailer so the lumber will be out in the open.
(11-26-2017, 09:50 PM)atgcpaul Wrote: I'm thinking about storing some lumber at my parents' house in DE.  I live in Montgomery County, MD.  It's mostly walnut, some ash, and cherry.  The walnut and ash were only air dried.  Are there restrictions on transporting this lumber across state lines?  I will need to rent a trailer so the lumber will be out in the open.

If it's already dried, I'd say no, since there are lumber dealers that ship all over the US.  OTOH, sometimes it's considered an agricultural item and it may be subject to inspection when you cross state lines.  I'd check with the states department of transportation for all the states you cross on your way to DE.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(11-26-2017, 09:50 PM)atgcpaul Wrote: I'm thinking about storing some lumber at my parents' house in DE.  I live in Montgomery County, MD.  It's mostly walnut, some ash, and cherry.  The walnut and ash were only air dried.  Are there restrictions on transporting this lumber across state lines?  I will need to rent a trailer so the lumber will be out in the open.

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/plant_health/...ne_map.pdf

"Movement of EAB regulated articles cannot exit Federal quarantine boundaries with out Federal permits."  EAB is emerald ash borer, but I don't know what a "regulated article" is.  Looking at the map MD and DE are already a lost cause so you're probably good on the ash.  Not sure about the others, but I thought there was some issue with walnut as well.  I think the chances of you getting stopped are between zero and nil, even with an open trailer and neon lights.

Maryland EAB info - http://mda.maryland.gov/plants-pests/Pages/eab.aspx
Deleware EAB info - https://dda.delaware.gov/plantind/eab.shtml

Oh yeah - thousand cankers disease in walnut (sounds like something you'd get off a toilet seat
Uhoh)

http://www.thousandcankers.com/home.php

Quarantine areas in Maryland.  Hasn't been detected in Delaware.

Maryland TCD info - http://mda.maryland.gov/plants-pests/Pages/tcd.aspx

Might be worth contacting state depts. of agriculture to find out what's up in your area if you like working ash and walnut.
(11-26-2017, 10:08 PM)AHill Wrote: If it's already dried, I'd say no, since there are lumber dealers that ship all over the US. 

I don't know about MD/DE, but here in NY it must be kiln dried.  The NY DEC site, state that firewood must be heated to 160*F and held for 75 minutes.  I do not know if this is true for lumber or just firewood, but I suspect it holds true for both.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe

I live in DE. I've been buying wood in PA, NJ and MD for years and never gave it a thought! I can't imagine how small the chances of you being questioned about it. If you're heading for downstate DE I'd say the chances are even slimmer!
Frank Spence
Time Flies Like an Arrow. Fruit Flies like a banana.
All my projects
http://mysite.verizon.net/fcspence/index.html
Just curious, at what point does "lumber" become "furniture" or "wooden object?"   Especially given the pallet chic furniture these days.
It would be best to check with dept of forestry, or agriculture in the state coming from, and the state going to, or even states passing through
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW

Jeez I'm sure the state troopers have better things to do, don't worry about it.
Danny it's a state by state thing with Ash, many Southern states don't have the EAB, now with Walnut and 1000 Cankers it's spotty with States around Ohio, to the West, and SouthEast. I'm sure there are states out West that have restrictions on Pine/Fir pests. I am not aware of anything that poses a danger, or enforcement if it is Kiln dried though.

1000 Cankers all around ohio, and spotty around many spots in the country. I've never heard anything about moving Walnut in Ohio though

When in NW Ohio I have seen troopers with trucks from Michigan pulled over that had logs with bark on them. Trucker waits until someone comes along to say he can move his load. I believe it has been Ash they were looking for. Troopers not being foresters don't make the call.

Ohio law, busted if not federally certified but the law does look at loads of uncovered wood. Put it in a trailer, and nobody knows.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Restrictions on wood movement usually apply to wood that's green / has bark still on it. Like Logs / Firewood. If firewood has been in a kiln and heated hot enough, then any bugs are dead, hench it's no longer a risk. 

I've not heard of any restrictions on sawn / dry lumber. EAB etc don't live in dry wood, hence there is no more risk than any other random load of freight. 

Think of it this way... What about the deck boards of the truck / trailer that's doing the hauling?