gluing chess board tiles
(11-28-2017, 09:25 AM)YSU65 Wrote: The above comments seem correct, 1/4" is pretty thin and should warp.  I made mine using the strip method.  Cut light and dark strips the width you need for the board.  Glue strips together.  Then cut strips to same dimension as the width.  Arrange strips so that one is up, another down.  This will give you the checkerboard pattern.    That was pretty easy.  The hard part was the mitered ends, trying to get nice joints.

Any how, good luck!
That's the way it should be done and how I have made all my chess/checker boards. Woodsmith had several issues devoted to it. I even made the tops of a pair of end tables exactly the same way, Then I framed them. I usually used ash, hickory, or hard maple for the lighter color and coupled it with black walnut for contrast. You start with alternating stripes edge glued up, all the same width. Next you cross cut the striped panels the same width as the stripes and then edge glue them back up. So, fooling around with individual small squares is avoided. Sounds goofy, but it works.
Rip to width. Plane to thickness. Cut to length. Join.
(11-29-2017, 08:41 PM)Edwin Hackleman Wrote: That's the way it should be done and how I have made all my chess/checker boards. Woodsmith had several issues devoted to it. I even made the tops of a pair of end tables exactly the same way, Then I framed them. I usually used ash, hickory, or hard maple for the lighter color and coupled it with black walnut for contrast. You start with alternating stripes edge glued up, all the same width. Next you cross cut the striped panels the same width as the stripes and then edge glue them back up. So, fooling around with individual small squares is avoided. Sounds goofy, but it works.

I watched David Marks do this on his TV show so it was not something I invented.  Looked like fun so I made two, gave them away to family.  I have some thin cherry panels that I may use for additional boards.  I have lots of maple pieces that would work for the light blocks.  I also have a miter trimmer to help with the bands.

I just have to remember, "White on Right!"  
Smile
I just made this one for a friend.  It is made like an edge (not end) grain cutting board.  The squares are 2" square made of maple and walnut.  It is trimmed in cherry with walnut end grain corners.
Not a new member, just someone who had to reregister.

Attached Files Image(s)