Foley Belsaw as a drum sander?
I picked up a well used Foley Belsaw planer this weekend for $100. Needs new feed rollers. The switch is disassembled; seller thinks it's damaged.

I want to convert it to a drum sander as I already have and love a PM100.

Have any of you done this? How's it work for sanding duty?

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad

(11-27-2017, 09:21 AM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I picked up a well used Foley Belsaw planer this weekend for $100.  Needs new feed rollers.  The switch is disassembled; seller thinks it's damaged.

I want to convert it to a drum sander as I already have and love a PM100.

Have any of you done this?  How's it work for sanding duty?

Looks like more than just the switch is missing?  There is a magnetic starter in there, or supposed to be, and they can get pricey for a 5 HP motor; or at least that's what was on the one I had.  But I guess you could put a new starter on it and still have a great deal for what you paid for it.  

Mine had the sanding drum accessories, too, but they looked like a PITA  to install and change.   IIRC correctly, you had to install three separate strips of paper, one with each gib.  I had a drum sander already so I wasn't looking at it for that function.   I regularly made molding on the one I had and it did a really good job.  Good luck.  

John
I have the magnetic starter in hand; the PO had taken it out while trying to figure it out. I also have a few spare caps; the one on the motor is bad.

I don't currently have a drum sander but really want one. If I can get this one running decently well (and fairly inexpensively), great. If not, I may just keep it in case I decide to give molding a try in the future. I had one of the older versions of this (cast iron frame sides, green paint) five years ago but sold it because I was so limited in space.
Semper fi,
Brad

Check the Belsaw website and see if the have a sander head.
Don
I haven't even looked at it to see which model number I have. Hopefully this evening I can.
Semper fi,
Brad

(11-27-2017, 11:45 AM)DFJarvie Wrote: Check the Belsaw website and see if the have a sander head.

With the one I had you used the stock planer head for sanding.  The sandpaper was held by the planer knife gibs. 

John
(11-27-2017, 11:03 AM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I have the magnetic starter in hand; the PO had taken it out while trying to figure it out.  I also have a few spare caps; the one on the motor is bad.

I don't currently have a drum sander but really want one.  If I can get this one running decently well (and fairly inexpensively), great.  If not, I may just keep it in case I decide to give molding a try in the future.  I had one of the older versions of this (cast iron frame sides, green paint) five years ago but sold it because I was so limited in space.

Oh that's good that you have the starter.  The switches can go bad on them; was on mine.  If it runs by pushing in the contactor manually (with a non-conductive stick) then the switch is the problem.  Those switches are readily available and cheap. 

I think Belsaw still sells feed rollers for them.  As I recall they weren't cheap.  I also think some other company recovers old worn out rollers.  IIRC, someone here or on SMC had a link to who does that.  Someone at OWWM probably knows, too.  I replaced all the springs and bushings in the abused machine I had.  I got all the parts at McMaster Carr.  Fortunately, the F-B planer is a really simple machine, easy to work on, and very robust.  Once you get it running it likely will sound awful - but do a great job.  

John
~$100 for a pair of rollers and ~$120 for the sanding thingamajig that attaches to the cutter head.

Really can't complain about those prices if it turns out to be a decent drum sander.

I'll need to fab up a dust hood to fit over the drum, but that's no biggie.
Semper fi,
Brad

(11-27-2017, 03:57 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: ~$100 for a pair of rollers and ~$120 for the sanding thingamajig that attaches to the cutter head.

Really can't complain about those prices if it turns out to be a decent drum sander.

I'll need to fab up a dust hood to fit over the drum, but that's no biggie.

I have a older Belsaw planer that I have hung on to thinking I would make a drum sander.  Everything on it works, so don't need any new parts.  John's comment about his planer was converted to a sander by just attaching sandpaper to the head using the existing gibs sounds like something I would like to try.  Thanks for bringing this subject up.  

Ken
(11-27-2017, 03:33 PM)jteneyck Wrote:  I also think some other company recovers old worn out rollers.  IIRC, someone here or on SMC had a link to who does that.  Someone at OWWM probably knows, too. 
John

Western Roller does it.  I had some redone on a JPM-13 last year.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"