Foley Belsaw as a drum sander?
It looks a little bit like my Woodmaster. When the Woodmaster is converted from planer to drum sander one step is to switch out the pulley on the drum shaft to make is spin at a slower speed. I wonder if the same should be done here.
The Woodmaster is a later iteration of the same machine. I'll look into changing the speed of the head when I get around to setting it up (if I find it's needed).
Semper fi,
Brad

Checking in to see if this project ever grew legs and if that Belsaw worked as a drum sander.  I have one as well that might be up to the conversion.
I wonder if you could just remove the blades and gibs and use spiral wrapped hook and loop to put paper on it, so that grit changes would be easy?
I don't know for sure but it seems like you would have to do something with the drum to round out the slots where the blades go otherwise you might get an uneven surface.
No, this project was never finished.  The gentleman that sold the conversion kits couldn't get the parts and after months of waiting, I sold the machine after pulling the motor (which now powers my 12" jointer).

Wish I had simply waited.  I still need a sander.
Semper fi,
Brad

(04-02-2022, 03:44 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: No, this project was never finished.  The gentleman that sold the conversion kits couldn't get the parts and after months of waiting, I sold the machine after pulling the motor (which now powers my 12" jointer).

Wish I had simply waited.  I still need a sander.

You made the right choice.  The FB makes a lousy sander.  The cutterhead diameter is small compared to a drum sander.  Worse, it's made of solid steel, not hollow aluminum, so the heat dissipation is terrible.  That's a double whammy for short abrasive life, burned wood, etc.  And then there's that seam.  

John
Dust collection would'nt be good either...my woodmaster picks it up right at the board surface behind the drum, leaves almost nothing.

Ed