A "Before & After"part2?
Friday was shopping at aa antique place.....skipped the showroom stuff, and went across to the Barn.   Picked a saw

A 4" x 24" backsaw.....mainly for use in a mitre box.   For $5 + sales tax....wasn't too hateful...there was a couple things that needed fixed

Between these ugly bolts and a very blocky handle.....the little bit of rust wasn't an issue.  
This may take a few posts...
Got rid of these things, right off the bat
Angry 

Then, using about every tool in the shop, I rounded off all those sharp edges on the handle, and got rid of the bad finish

Used the forstner bits to "adjust" the holes for new bolts....

Kept things a bit closer to an older model.    I had a steel WS medallion, and a few steel bolts.....Looked like I needed to sharpen that one drill bit...
Uhoh 

Next episode.   A reveal about how this saw came out....
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Ok, so....instead of those #3 Phillips bolts, we have ....

A better set.   Even this side of the handle was looking better..

Saw plate was scraped down, then polished.   Then clamped up, so I could re-install the handle

And wipe on a coat of amber shellac.   I also set up  a mitre box..

Stanley #2246.....this 4 x 24 saw works just fine....

made a couple test cuts....cuts  fast and straight, no binding.  Maybe NOW I can send out that 4" x 26" saw for a sharpening
Confused 
Better than just rusting away...
Couple more views?
Winkgrin

And when the mitre box is put away...

I can hang it up with the "other" 4" x 24" saw.
Cool project.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
I'd love to see all of your hand saw screws. I just got a split nut saw and it's missing one nut. Drats. Somehow I am going to have to beg, borrow, steal, or purchase that one nut in order to get my saw complete.

Good work on the rehab. Did you give the teeth a freshening up?
(11-28-2017, 05:05 AM)Tynyyn Wrote: I'd love to see all of your hand saw screws.  I just got a split nut saw and it's missing one nut.  Drats.  Somehow I am going to have to beg, borrow, steal, or purchase that one nut in order to get my saw complete.

Good work on the rehab.  Did you give the teeth a freshening up?

Blackburn tools has brass and bronze split nuts. Trouble is your postage will cost more.
(11-28-2017, 05:05 AM)Tynyyn Wrote: I'd love to see all of your hand saw screws.  I just got a split nut saw and it's missing one nut.  Drats.  Somehow I am going to have to beg, borrow, steal, or purchase that one nut in order to get my saw complete.

Good work on the rehab.  Did you give the teeth a freshening up?

Can you let us know what you need? (maker, size, style, etc) I have a LOT of old saws in my shop and I'd be happy to unload some hardware. Cost you the postage.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
(11-29-2017, 01:07 PM)DaveParkis Wrote: Can you let us know what you need? (maker, size, style, etc) I have a LOT of old saws in my shop and I'd be happy to unload some hardware. Cost you the postage.

Teeth were nice and sharp when I bought the saw.    No need right now to refresh them.     Most of the saw nuts in my shop are the newer Brass and steel types.   I brought home a large bundle of old, rusty saws last spring...

Went and stripped down all the saws....wound up with a few medallions.  the bolts went for a soak

Then I rehabbed what little I could out of the stack.....still have a few Medallions left, and a few bolts.  

Managed to get a few good saws..
(11-29-2017, 01:07 PM)DaveParkis Wrote: Can you let us know what you need? (maker, size, style, etc) I have a LOT of old saws in my shop and I'd be happy to unload some hardware. Cost you the postage.

I'll do that Dave.  Gotta go out to the shop and take some pics and measurements.  When I do I will start a new thread so not to steal Bandits.