New Toilet
I need a new toilet. I was going to go with an American Standard Champion 4 Max. I was reading the reviews, and now I’m not sure. I checked with Kohler, and they also have mixed reviews. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
CADman
TOTO Drake 1.6 GPF elongated bowl. According to the MaP toilet tests, elongated bowls flush better than round bowls.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/TOTO-Drake-2...gKLg_D_BwE

https://www.homedepot.com/p/TOTO-Drake-A.../203759594 -- ADA compliant

http://www.map-testing.com
I have a Toto Drake - a great toilet.  We bought the tall one, 17" from the floor to the rim of the bowl.  The seat adds another inch.  We had it since 2001 and it hasn't failed us yet.

Only problem was the flush handle broke, but it was an easy fix with JB Weld.  Some info on that issue here:  https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?t...249/page-2

Apparently it has since been fixed in toilets available today by beefing up the handle.
If you can find the Toto, it really gets rave reviews. I don't have them generally available so i went with American Standard, but not the Champion 4 (I did have one of those in my last house). Instead consider the Saver Cadet 3 (that name seems to have changed from time to time). They are usually a little cheaper than the Champion model and use (slightly) less water. I put 2 in our last house, and 3 in this one. I really like them. The Champion I had started leaking past the valve fairly quickly and  had to replace the flapper.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I've put 3 Cadet 3s in this house. I can clog a storm sewer. After over a year, it hasn't happened. My only beef with the Cadet 3 is that the water level in the bowl is kind of shallow. This may be true for all the newer, water saving designs, I don't know. But sometimes "stuff" sticks to the side of the bowl. Usually a second flush takes care of it. Overall, we're happy with them.

We ordered two of them because the builder didn't leave a full 12" to the wall so we had to buy the 10". There are two tank capacity options. We opted for the larger capacity on both of the special ordered toilets but the stock one from HD only came with the 1.28 gal. It's been fine too.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

Yep, agreed. TOTO Drake 1.6 GPF elongated bowl. Have 2 in my house and populated several family members houses as well, zero problems. Others may work as well or even be cheaper, but I wont be finding out.
Smile
If you get a Toto or other bulk flush toilet AND you have back to back toilets that use a sanitary T ,   they may have problems with waste crossing the T and lowering the water level in the other toilet.    Suggest looking at the installation instructions for the toilet you are buying.   Roly
The only one I can speak about is the Cadet-3.  Amazing what that thing gets rid of.   I bought a second one in storage in case they quit making them.

Like the comedian said; "I'd trust it to flush all the evidence at once before the cops knocked down the door".  
Laugh

No insinuations of course.
Winkgrin
+1 more for Toto (though I installed a perfectly serviceable new Kohler in one bath, and it's worked fine so far)
(11-28-2017, 10:09 PM)CADman Wrote: I need a new toilet.  I was going to go with an American Standard Champion 4 Max.  I was reading the reviews, and now I’m not sure.  I checked with Kohler, and they also have mixed reviews.  Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
CADman

I have a Champion 4 Right Height elongated bowl; not sure how it differs from the Max.  I paid about $225 at HD 6 months ago.  It flushes fine, sort of.  I say sort of because it will not completely flush unless you hold the lever down or remove the tank lid because the handle bangs into the underside of it.  I've tried shortening the chain as much as possible and even trimming off some of the plastic lever arm to improve the clearance but to no avail.  If it were metal I could just bend it but it's plastic.  I may resort to heating it enough to bend it.  The other issue is any #2 in the bowl will leave streaks when flushed so you have to use a toilet brush every time if that bothers you as it does me.  1.3 gpf or whatever it is is all fine and good but leaving behind a mess shouldn't be the price you have to pay for that.  To their credit, AS packages the toilet with the rookie DIY'er in mind, with clear directions and everything needed for installation in the box except the water line.  They even include plastic wrenches. 

John