Router problem

Uhoh I was using a panel raising bit on white oak tonight with my Freud 3 1/4 HP plunge router (FT2200VCE).  It was faltering, and it finally quit altogether.  I removed the bit and turned on the router again--nothing.  It will not turn, not even by hand.  It seems to be frozen.  Is it dead for good?

Al
Al (doc1)
Are you good at taking things apart and then putting them back together? I recommend taking the router apart. The problem should become evident. Deal enders would be a brush tangled somehow in the commutator or windings sticking out. Neither of these is common. The most likely cause of a locked up router is a foreign object in the works or a bad bearing. do not forget to check the obvious- a stuck bit changing lock if the router has one.

P.S. if you decide to take it apart remember to pull the brushes before sliding the commutator out.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
It's a good guess. Too bad, those are great routers that we will never see again.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(11-29-2017, 06:30 AM)fredhargis Wrote: It's a good guess. Too bad, those are great routers that we will never see again.

Yeah, I've got one with a bad speed control -- won't turn on at all but no parts.
Sigh
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
(11-29-2017, 12:12 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: Yeah, I've got one with a bad speed control -- won't turn on at all but no parts.
Sigh

I have one in my trash can as we speak. It set disassembled on my bench for months and I was unable to fix it. Kinda hurts to throw it away. I think I still have the plunge base in a box unused if anyone needs one.
(11-29-2017, 06:30 AM)fredhargis Wrote: It's a good guess. Too bad, those are great routers that we will never see again.
Fred, I may have some parts for you.  I'm taking it to a repair today shop to see if they can fix it, but I'm doubtful.

Al
Al (doc1)
(11-29-2017, 12:12 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: Yeah, I've got one with a bad speed control -- won't turn on at all but no parts.
Sigh

I had that problem with a Hitachi and the replacement speed control part was outrageously expensive, so I bypassed the speed controller and now plug it into a HF controller.  Works just fine.  I had a panel raising bit in it and the speed regulation is good and pretty steady as load changes.  I think I paid around $20 for it.  Wiring around the speed controller is pretty obvious once you get it apart.  

John
(11-29-2017, 01:22 PM)doc1 Wrote: Fred, I may have some parts for you.  I'm taking it to a repair today shop to see if they can fix it, but I'm doubtful.

Al

Fred, the repair guy tells me that my router is toast.  He isn't going to put it back together again, so I'll pick up a box of parts.  Tell me what the speed control looks like, and I'll send it along.

Al
Al (doc1)
As John stated if you can bypass the speed control and run it through a dial speed controller, it will work fine. I have this router, and have never taken it apart, might be jinxing myself, but mine runs fine.

HF router speed controller
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(11-29-2017, 06:31 PM)doc1 Wrote: Fred, the repair guy tells me that my router is toast.  He isn't going to put it back together again, so I'll pick up a box of parts.  Tell me what the speed control looks like, and I'll send it along.

Al

I may have not been clear, mine is in perfect working order at the moment. Being the size it is, it doesn't get too much use. So I keep it for those rare occasions I need the large hand held router. What I especially like is the long stroke on the plunge base. Thanks for the offer, but I'd bet there are some others here who could use the controller (and maybe other stuff). For anyone interested, that router is identical to the FT2000, they only changed the color of some parts.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.