Dowel Forming Plate
I just came across this video about making a dowel plate. It has good information, worth the watch if you're interested in these things. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CG1XO08ByA
(12-01-2017, 12:22 PM)John Walkowiak Wrote: I just came across this video about making a dowel plate. It has good information, worth the watch if you're interested in these things. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CG1XO08ByA

Hey! Now we know where Jim and Derek's Native Woods of Australia came from!

A very nice elaboration of a simple task.
I liked the dowel plate. Don't know if I need to mount it though, I just want to use it to make pins. Lol.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
A tapered reamer would be the ideal tool to size the holes.  That way there would be a built in relief on the backside of the hole to ease in the dowel going through the hole.
---------------------------------------------------
When something has to be done, no one knows how to do it.  When they "pay" you to do it, they become "experts".
(12-08-2017, 10:05 AM)Axehandle Wrote: A tapered reamer would be the ideal tool to size the holes.  That way there would be a built in relief on the backside of the hole to ease in the dowel going through the hole.

Any idea where to find a decently priced tapered reamer? Every one I've found is more expensive than buying the dowel plates ready made.
Jason

(12-08-2017, 11:36 AM)Jason28 Wrote: Any idea where to find a decently priced tapered reamer? Every one I've found is more expensive than buying the dowel plates ready made.

Never mind. I was thinking tapered pin reamers.
Jason

If you take a cold chisel and make 3 or 4 cuts along the circumference of your dowel plate holes the dowels will end up with glue grooves.