How wide can a drawer be
Big drawer but not impossible. 1/2" bottom. I'd be inclined to to with four 100 pound side mount full extenstion slides unless you want them hidden. I think I'd also run a piece of wood under the bottom from front to back in the middle just to keep the bottom from sagging, but that's proly not really needed. A center guide might not be a bad idea to help with racking.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

(12-01-2017, 06:05 PM)Steve N Wrote: With no mention at all about what kinda weight is to be in the drawer I wonder if anything suggested will work? 4' is 4', that could house hundreds of pounds potentially.

I've not used the ties John spoke of but they may help with alignment as much as twisting/strength/solidity. The biggest concern I have about multiple slides is alignment. Seems if they aren't spot on you could get jammed simply because they wanted to go slightly different directions. The same could be a problem with just 2 slides, but much easier fixed.
Maybe some very heavy weight slides, and the ties John mentioned may be a better thought?

Has anyone done more than 2 slides before? I have not, maybe it's not difficult. (shrugs)

Leave the 4 undermounts slightly loose after mounting. Run the drawer in and out a few times, then finish tightening the screws down.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(12-01-2017, 06:57 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Leave the 4 undermounts slightly loose after mounting. Run the drawer in and out a few times, then finish tightening the screws down.

Might could work, but in my experience it wouldn't be quite that easy in the doing of it. Try it, make a movie, and let us see
Big Grin
Big Grin
Big Grin

Oh yeah, don't edit out all the colorful language......
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
You won't have a problem with side mount slides if you use a good quality 100# slide.

Make the sides and bottom 3/4.

Design option is make 2 drawers the right one as wide as the 2 doors above it, the left the same way.
How would one use more than two undermount slides of the Blum Tandem type on one draw? The flanges would prevent that as far as I can see.

John
(12-05-2017, 04:26 PM)jteneyck Wrote: How would one use more than two undermount slides of the Blum Tandem type on one draw?  The flanges would prevent that as far as I can see.

John

That was my thought also but I think he is talking about mounting side mounts flat under drawer.  Mounting them flat they are derated to 25% of their normal rating.   Roly
(12-05-2017, 04:26 PM)jteneyck Wrote: How would one use more than two undermount slides of the Blum Tandem type on one draw?  The flanges would prevent that as far as I can see.

John

Blum isn't the only undermount slide out there.
Smirk
Winkgrin

Attached Files
.   center-undermount-drawer-slides-heavy-duty-undermount-drawer-slides-undermount-drawer-slides-slow-close-drawer-slide-key (Size: 317 KB / Downloads: 0)
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

My shop has 36 and 39 " wide drawers containing power tools.
Sides are 3/4 " thick hardwood, while the bottoms are 1/2" thick plywood. They all have one or two dividers that run from side to side. The plywood bottom is screwed up into these dividers.
Full extension side mount ball bearing drawer slides are rated for 150 or 200 lbs.
My .02
Karl

I finally came across the anit-racking hardware that blum makes. It's called a lateral stabilizer rod kit.

https://www.wurthlac.com/storefront/cont...ctPage.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCU_xgpXyto

By the time you get a set of slides and this kit it'll cost upwards of $50 per drawer. I'm happy I only have one big drawer. I remember installing these slides by the dozens (and only a few of these rod kits) when I was working in a cabinet shop. I knew we were doing rich folks' kitchens, but with markup on all the hardware I can only imagine what these people must have been spending on a room full of cabinets. The last house I worked on before quitting must have had as much money into their cabinets than my whole house is worth and that's just below 6 figures.
How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/
I would think undermount slides would be tempted to pull out as the drawer is opened and becomes a lever on the back most screws.  I'd rather have the weight of the drawer fight shear than withdrawal.  Most full extension euro slides are rated for a hundred pounds.  Add a center guide to prevent racking.