Wood in contact with food
Want to make some kitchen utensils and am concerned about which wood to use. Am thinking either hard maple or beech. All coments are appreciated, Thanks.
I don't know of any food allergies associated with either if those woods. I think that even Walnut would be OK. People have an allergy to the nut /oil more so than the wood.

What exactly are you making?
either of those will work fine. I'd probably use African blackwood because it's impervious to water damage, cleans easily and will last forever, but then again I have a few hundred pounds of the stuff to play with.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
(11-30-2017, 12:29 PM)SteveS Wrote: either of those will work fine. I'd probably use African blackwood because it's impervious to water damage, cleans easily and will last forever, but then again I have a few hundred pounds of the stuff to play with.

Blackwood is a Dalbergia a rosewood. I am highly allergic to it and could possibly die from my next exposure to it
If it don't hold soup, it's ART!!

Dry Creek Woodturning

(11-30-2017, 04:39 PM)AnthonyYak Wrote: Blackwood is a Dalbergia a rosewood. I am highly allergic to it and could possibly die from my next exposure to it

I doubt that. Just because some guy in a lab coat says a tree is in the same genus, which is only based on leaf and flower appearance, doesn't mean the reaction from cocobolo is going to be the same as tulipwood. Developing a reaction to one has no bearing for the reaction to the other.
(11-30-2017, 09:37 AM)Stamper Wrote: Want to make some kitchen utensils and am concerned about which wood to use. Am thinking either hard maple or beech. All coments are appreciated, Thanks.

Ash is my first choice for kitchen utensils.
(11-30-2017, 06:50 PM)SteveS Wrote: I doubt that. Just because some guy in a lab coat says a tree is in the same genus, which is only based on leaf and flower appearance, doesn't mean the reaction from cocobolo is going to be the same as tulipwood. Developing a reaction to one has no bearing for the reaction to the other.

I HAVE lived it!! This is not some guy in a lab coat, but me in a flannel shirt. 3 times, the last time it cost me 3 days at work, my eyes were darn near swollen shut. I've seen multiple other turners also. Kingwood, tulipwood and cocobolo. Dalbergias are not turned at demos at my club and one other local club. There are two types of people, those who have had a reaction and those who will

Dry Creek Woodturning

(11-30-2017, 09:14 PM)AnthonyYak Wrote: I HAVE lived it!! This is not some guy in a lab coat, but me in a flannel shirt. 3 times, the last time it cost me 3 days at work, my eyes were darn near swollen shut. I've seen multiple other turners also. Kingwood, tulipwood and cocobolo. Dalbergias are not turned at demos at my club and one other local club. There are two types of people, those who have had a reaction and those who will

And the third type of person; those who will never have a reaction, like me. I've been working with dalbergia genus woods for 30 years and never any type of reaction. I have over a dozen different species in my shop including working through 4000 lbs of African blackwood.

It's been noted that about 20% of the population has no reaction to poison ivy. Some percentage of the population will have no reaction to "rosewoods".
And everyone including me said, "I never had a reaction" Turned it for 5 years before my first reaction

Dry Creek Woodturning

People’s sensitivity to everyday items is no joke. We know from charts very few woods are toxic by themselves. We also know many wood species do cause problems for people due to their sensitivity to the them. I don’t buy the risk is diminished with food safe finishes but not entirely eliminated. Name me one foods safe wood finish specially addresseds in those CFR’s devoted to chemicals and food contact! Then show us the MSDS or SDS for that wood finishing product. For turned items I make get either no finish or mineral oil.

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articl...-toxicity/

I like to cite Jonathan Binzen article:
http://www.finewoodworking.com/2006/08/0...e-finishes

Its no secret allergy prone people should be more cautious with their wood selection. Once you learn you are sensitive to any wood species just leave it alone.
Bill