Hockey helmets
OK, I just joined a turning group on facebook and one of the first postings was a HORRENDOUS picture of a turner whose bowl exploded and left a 3" hole in his skull. Someone else posted a pic of what he wears for turning. A Bauer Hockey helmet with a full face shield. My fingers couldn't type faster getting to the Hockey helmet page. You all might want to check them out. By the way, the victim was wearing a turners faceshield. YUCK!!!!
Dollars to doughnuts the turner mentioned removed the safety cage from the lathe.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
(11-30-2017, 12:26 PM)SteveS Wrote: Dollars to doughnuts the turner mentioned removed the safety cage from the lathe.

Most lathes don't come with a safety cage.  Mine didn't.  Powermatic is the only one I know of.  I don't have a single DVD on turning where the professional turner used a safety cage.  Not saying it's not useful and a wise precaution when turning unbalanced loads.  Just saying it's very uncommon to have one.  I always wear a face shield while roughing things out, and I stand out of the line of fire.  I use the tailstock to support my work whenever I can.  And, most of all, I pay attention to the presentation of my cutting edge to prevent catches.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(11-30-2017, 02:37 PM)AHill Wrote: Most lathes don't come with a safety cage.  Mine didn't.  Powermatic is the only one I know of.  I don't have a single DVD on turning where the professional turner used a safety cage.  Not saying it's not useful and a wise precaution when turning unbalanced loads.  Just saying it's very uncommon to have one.  I always wear a face shield while roughing things out, and I stand out of the line of fire.  I use the tailstock to support my work whenever I can.  And, most of all, I pay attention to the presentation of my cutting edge to prevent catches.

This.  I also wear a face shield, I stay out of the line of fire which has saved me twice and I don't turn things that I think are sketchy.
(11-30-2017, 12:26 PM)SteveS Wrote: Dollars to doughnuts the turner mentioned removed the safety cage from the lathe.

Sorry Steve, but that's something we never do as turners....right.
Bill
(11-30-2017, 06:06 PM)Herebrooks Wrote: Sorry Steve, but that's something we never do as turners....right.
Bill

I use mine on my jet when working on anything of considerable mass and speed. For those who don't have adequate protection, and a faceshield isn't, then don't complain if it comes back to bite you.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
(11-30-2017, 06:45 PM)SteveS Wrote: I use mine on my jet when working on anything of considerable mass and speed. For those who don't have adequate protection, and a faceshield isn't, then don't complain if it comes back to bite you.

This is one of those acceptable risk things.  For some, not having a cage is an acceptable risk.  For others it isn't.  It's not who's wrong or who's right, it's an opinion.    My own opinion is that my lathe doesn't have a cage.  I don't expect my face shield to protect against anything more than wood chips, which is why I stand out of the line of fire when starting the lathe and as much as I can when turning.
I got this one from a guy here at a great price since he was getting an upgraded one

https://www.zoro.com/3m-papr-system-belt...gK_6fD_BwE

I had a few small pieces pop off of it and no problems.

I would only let people who watch use Uvec or other face shields since they really do not protect much and I hate chips hitting me in the face or chest.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.