batching out picture frames for Christmas.
I think I'm going to make picture frames as presents for Christmas.  Maybe up to 25 of them.  They'll all be the same size and hold an 11x14 glass or plastic sheet with an 11x14 matboard.

I made a frame the same size a year ago which I held together with Dominos and it worked well so I'll probably do that again.  Splines look easy enough to do but that seems like it would require more sanding, etc, than just gluing up the corner with a Domino and be done with it.

I definitely don't have enough clamps but I think I've got enough to finish glue up in a couple days with a few hours of dry time in between.

Glass or plastic for the front?  I was going to use the nonreflective plastic.  They have it at Home Depot.

Any other tips/tricks for this many frames?

Thanks,
Paul
Glass is my choice. Plastic will not be kind to heirloom pics over time. And, depending on where it's hung, it might yellow over time.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
The worst part of plastic glazing is static.  It makes it nearly impossible to fit the art to the frame without collecting some debris inside due to the static.  Stick with glass.

11" x 14" is an unfortunate size.  It leaves awkward looking uneven borders all around.

A 13" x 15" will give you an even 2½" border all around.  You will have to have these custom cut.  But online vendors will do this for as little as $3.00 each.

Here is one:  https://www.matboardandmore.com/products...tting.aspx

Picture frames do not demand much strength.  When I first started my custom picture framing business I cross drilled and pinned the corners.  A corner vise is a huge advantage for this:  http://www.rockler.com/miter-vise?utm_so...gIxIPD_BwE

After cutting, I could assemble at least 10 an hour using this method.  If you have a micro pinner it will go much faster.  After finishing this will become invisible.  

I used pre-finished molding.  And notwithstanding the fact that people will appreciate your labor and skills, most people prefer the pre-finished molding for hanging on the wall.  I had a full time framing business and the percentage of people that chose a natural wood finish over a gold or decorative finish was minuscule.  

At least 50% of the molding chosen by clients were "gold".  Of these I sold about 5% with actual gold leaf (looks better, costs a lot more).

There are sources for molding online.  Here is one:  https://framing4yourself.com/shop/produc...s-lengths/
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(11-30-2017, 01:00 PM)atgcpaul Wrote: I definitely don't have enough clamps but I think I've got enough to finish glue up in a couple days with a few hours of dry time in between.

Make your own band clamps.  Parachute cord type rope works.
Google:  Packer's knot  or figure eight knot.  ..or go to your old Boy Scout field manual
  Apply glue to the corners, string the loop around the  frame, tighten.
Give it a concept test with regular twine or string.
Some cord works better than others.
Because the tag end is the active end, you don't even have to cut the cord off the ball until the knot is tight.