Raspberry Pi in the shop?
I know there are some techies on this forum.  Is anyone using the Raspberry Pi in the wood shop for anything?  Arduinos?  Other Microprocessors which you hacked?

Just curious.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
I have not, but here is a link to a blog where an arduino was used to control a router lift:
http://www.liming.org/router/lift.html

I don't recall where I happened on it, but thought it was cool and kept the link in case I decided to try it myself.
(12-01-2017, 07:47 PM)Cecil Wrote: I know there are some techies on this forum.  Is anyone using the Raspberry Pi in the wood shop for anything?  Arduinos?  Other Microprocessors which you hacked?

Just curious.

I've been looking at plans for a homemade CNC Router.  Some of the ones I've been looking at use a Raspberry Pi as a controller, and some use an Arduino.  I need a job, home, and my tools before I can get started, though.
I just got done watching this video, pretty cool. Used an Audrino board to make an auto on dust collector-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1JWH425o7c
(12-01-2017, 10:18 PM)page2171 Wrote: ... I need a job, home, and my tools before I can get started, though.

I hear that one!  I wish you the best.
Have a lot of the ARM boards and many others for various motion control. My shop is like a techshop/makerspace so lots of electronics build fun along with wood and metal tools. What do you want to know?

Pi with ifttt and arduinos controlling relay states
Pi withpiface
Pi with motorshield

Arduino megas and unos with any number of shields

Mega on a 3d printer i builyt using RAMPS

Photon.io controlling 433mhz bridge

Half a dozen gecko g540s on varios cnc axis using mach and rs485 modbus

Centroid oak
Centroid acorn for g0704 mill
Centroid m400 on knee mill

Microkinetics drive racks for cnc lathe

Some Mesa boards for Linuxcnc and tormach pathpilot for lathe conversion

Some boards for automatic torch height for plasma build

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

(12-02-2017, 09:45 AM)BloomingtonMike Wrote: What do you want to know?

That is basically what I want to know.  I am planning on picking up either a Raspberry Pi or the Arduino shortly, for some home automation and security.  As I was reading about them, I said to myself, hmmm, this has many wood shop applications. 

Most of the programming I do is PL/SQL based.  I do a wee bit of VBA and Java.  In the past I have done other languages, so it will not take long to come up to speed.

I assume you make a living from your maker space.  Is that true?  I am just a hobbyist.
Nope. Hobby. Just a guy with property and kids and love making things and teaching my kids and friends to do the same.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

(12-02-2017, 09:27 AM)Cecil Wrote: I hear that one!  I wish you the best.

Thanks!  I have a promising sounding interview coming up on Tuesday, which is a step in the right direction.
How does this Raspberry Pi taste? Beyond that I got nothing....
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW