New woodworking workbench
[quote pid='7557107' dateline='1512187519']
MY WORKBENCH IS SIMILAR EXCEPT MY VICES ARE REVERSED. YOU WILL  DEFINITELY LIKE THE EXTRA DOG HOLES.
[/quote]
George

if it ain't broke, you're not tryin'
Quando omni flunkus, moritati.
Red Green

(12-02-2017, 10:44 PM)wood-chips Wrote: I ordered them from Rockler some time ago.  They were on the old bench that got replaced.

No one reuses Casters. Come on, get new ones for the new bench. 

Bench rocks by the way....wish it was mine and you had one twice as nice!
Watch your fingers!!

Nice bench. Thanks for the build pics too. I saw a track saw, and then they were glued up? Jointer? Likely a lot more steps and just remembered to take a pic once in a while, that's what I do
Big Grin
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(12-04-2017, 12:06 AM)Steve N Wrote: Nice bench. Thanks for the build pics too. I saw a track saw, and then they were glued up? Jointer? Likely a lot more steps and just remembered to take a pic once in a while, that's what I do  
Big Grin

Yes there were a lot of steps. First I cut the boards to rough length to make them more manageable, they were 9 & 10 footers and the bench is 6 feet long. The boards were not bad as far as flat and smooth so I didn't run them through the planer and I knew I was going to use the gantry planer setup. I did use the track saw to square the edges on both sides. I used the track saw to do both sides because it would have been to hard to wrestle the boards on the table saw because I estimated each weighed about 50 pounds and some of the boards had some twist and cupping.

After I got the edges square I cleaned them up with my LN #7. They were way to heavy and long to run on my 6 inch jointer plus with twist and cupping I'd still have trouble. Next I cut all the domino holes and did a dry fit.  All the seams closed up nicely and I didn't have to do any additional edge tuning.

After it was all glued up I had a friend come over and help me with the gantry planing.  That worked out well and it was the largest setup I had done. The most I had to remove was a strong 1/8 inch overall. After the gantry planing I still had a few high spots I knocked down with LN #5. Next I used the track saw to square the ends and cut to length.

Finally I had help to flip it over and clean up the bottom and attach the base and vises. By now I estimate it to be close to 500 pounds. Once it was upright again I sanded the top to 320 grit and drilled the dog holes and installed the shelf on the bottom of the base. It was a lot of work but I'm happy with the end result.

Cool  
Cool A beastie bench flattened with handtools. Seriously you would be within your rights to stand and beat your chest while doing a Tarzan yell.  Nice bench too.
Big Grin
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW