Tapered Iron Hollow Grind Question
(12-06-2017, 07:26 AM)JimReed@Tallahassee Wrote: My experience says that honing guides are useful but only as training wheels. Once you train yourself how to keep the blade moving at a constant angle, you can ditch the guide. Of course, the guide has its own learning curve. The result is that once you master the guide you don't need it anymore.

This.... well said Jim....
Skip

I agree. Grind at 25*. Then hone with a micro-bevel.

Those old irons are THICK. You really want a hollow grind, otherwise you will spend forever trying to hone the entire bevel. That old tool steel takes a keen edge, and it doesn't tend to crumble very easily. It was designed to do jobs like this, and it did (and does) them very, very well.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Thanks again, one and all.  I'm hoping to finish this iron this weekend, time permitting.  I hope to post a few images of shavings, to follow.

Greetings from Sunny (and Incendiary) Southern California

Greg
Have a couple of those tapered irons....may have to check to see HOW I sharpened them up....One is in a Ohio Tool Co.  No. 035

Something like this....
Confused

About the same as a Stanley #35

I think I tried for just a flat, 25 degree bevel....
Confused
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that