Is there an ideal chair back shape?
I'm turning a bench into a glider and plan on using 3/4" x 1" vertical slats spaced about 1" apart as the back. I have a book that gives a recommended angle but it would still be flat, which doesn't even sound comfortable. I know the computer chair I'm sitting in now has a gentle "S" shapped back and it's very comfortable.  I can shape the slats but was wondering it there  were any standards before I start cutting.
I had a good day. I used every tool I own!
I don't know if there is an ideal shape as everyone's back is different.  However you could look at Jeff Miller's chair making book, he has a bit on it about getting a chair to fit a particular back.
          -Howard
I'm tall so some shaped backs on seats hit me wrong (particularly on planes
Upset ) with my shoulders shoved forward and the small of my back unsupported.  If I was doing it, I'd leave the back flat and add a removable cushion if more comfort is desired.
(12-06-2017, 11:29 AM)Phil S. Wrote: I'm tall so some shaped backs on seats hit me wrong (particularly on planes
Upset ) with my shoulders shoved forward and the small of my back unsupported.  If I was doing it, I'd leave the back flat and add a removable cushion if more comfort is desired.

I agree with Phil, leave it flat and use cushions. I have the opposite problem. I'm short and shaped seat backs often hit me wrong. Flat ones work better.
I think it is a mistake to try to design a chair for everyone.  The compromises involved mean it will not be particularly comfortable to anyone.  I hate straight backed chairs, but I am not your design target.

One of the main advantages of building your own things is that you do not need to stick to an average of some sort to make it popular: you can build what you really want.  Of course, you can really screw things up with an unusual design, but you can also make something that will make you happy every time you use it.  The trick is to meet your needs without torturing your guests (unless that's your aim.)

If you particularly like the curve of one of your chair backs, copying that would be a good place to start playing with the design.
The perfect lumbar support has always been a big issue in chair building.

Unless custom made for the client, it can be illusive since we have many
different body types.

Having said that, I have built many Adirondack outside chairs
with straight backs that were totally comfortable.

If not, one can always add cushions.
A laid back southeast Florida beach bum and volunteer bikini assessor.

Wink
The one that makes you go Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh when you sit down on it.

HTH
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(12-07-2017, 03:20 PM)Alan S Wrote: If you particularly like the curve of one of your chair backs, copying that would be a good place to start playing with the design.

That is exactly what I am going to do! And like you say, if I mess it up-----well it's my candy store!
I had a good day. I used every tool I own!