Making tee markers for my golf course
Our course is going to redo the tee markers for the golf course.  There are four sets of tees and 18 holes so 72 markers will be done.  We will be using felled branches that we will be cutting into 5-8 inch sections and them painting the "bare" wood ends with colors to indicate the proper tee position.  My question is; can you give me any advise on stabilizing the wood.  I assume that the paint will seal the ends, but should the bark be covered with some sort of sealer?

thanks

Bob
Bark probably won't stay on too long, as the pieces dry it will fall off.

Anchorseal has always been the most often suggested product for ends of green wood, Now I am not sure if this Anchorseal 2 is any good but it is less than what I have seen regular Anchorseal for?

Rockler also has a product, I've got no info on it, but it's less then Anchorseal

Will they stay out all year, or do they come in during the Winter? A few coats of exterior paint may work, and may just give someone a never ending job of re-coating too.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(12-05-2017, 07:04 PM)Steve N Wrote: Bark probably won't stay on too long, as the pieces dry it will fall off.

Anchorseal has always been the most often suggested product for ends of green wood, Now I am not sure if this Anchorseal 2 is any good but it is less than what I have seen regular Anchorseal for?

Rockler also has a product, I've got no info on it, but it's less then Anchorseal

Will they stay out all year, or do they come in during the Winter? A few coats of exterior paint may work, and may just give someone a never ending job of re-coating too.

thanks, Steve.  The exterior paint will hold the color and over the winter.  Interesting about the bark.  On a hard wood like hickory or oak, the wood is pretty stable.  I was thinking of coating the bark with some sort of urethane.  They will stay out over the winter as there are occasional golf days here in Va.
I've used a number of different woods to make sun dials, and the bark always comes off, but perhaps it is because I am using slabs around 2" thick, maybe something taller would have better purchase?
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW