Delta Band saw motor problem
I have a 14" Delta Band Saw. Today while using it, I turned it off, came back few minutes later, would not start. Motor would only hum as if there is a blockage.
I did the following;
checked tracking - all okay (had just recently put new blade on)
turned both wheels - clear
no sight blockage anywhere, by blocks, guard, etc. 
removed blade, turned motor on - same hum, lower wheel moved maybe an inch. 
blew out entire machine with air hose of all sawdust - no change.
It's about 25 years old

(reset motor of course) 

next step is remove cover for belt.   Any ideas out there what the cause might be?

Thanks
Rick
(12-05-2017, 06:59 PM)ricknv Wrote: I have a 14" Delta Band Saw. Today while using it, I turned it off, came back few minutes later, would not start. Motor would only hum as if there is a blockage.
I did the following;
It's about 25 years old

(reset motor of course) 

next step is remove cover for belt.   Any ideas out there what the cause might be?

Thanks
Rick
 Does it have a capacitor ?  If so look for bulges or other visible issue.   The centrifugal switch can be stuck open, most likely from crud or sawdust.   With the blade off give the motor pulley a spin then see if it starts up from there.    Roly
What Roly said.

And if the capacitor is truly fried or the centrifugal switch stuck open, you can spin it in either direction, then hit the power, and it'll start and run in that direction, even if it's opposite from what you want. But I would do that with the belt removed, as it'll spin easier and there's fewer things to bite you.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Hi, if blowing it out with compressed air solved the problem, that indicates that the centrifugal switch was stuck in the open position.

I would take the motor apart and clean the centrifugal switch contacts and check for proper operation of the bob weights.

After that, if it doesn't start, try the starting capacitor.

Regards, Lucy.
Work is the curse of the riding class.
Hmmmmmm. thanks. will give all a try.

I think there is a stuck somewhere...........................
Better to find a stuck in your motor than a stick. 

Tom and Roly have you headed down the right track.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

(12-05-2017, 06:59 PM)ricknv Wrote: I have a 14" Delta Band Saw. Today while using it, I turned it off, came back few minutes later, would not start. Motor would only hum as if there is a blockage.
I did the following;
It's about 25 years old

(reset motor of course) 

Thanks
Rick

Rick, I had the same problem with my 14" Delta BS this summer and I had some of the same thoughts.  All I did to fix it was using compressed air I blew the dust out the motor and it has been good to go since.
Rich
I'm always surprised that a company like Delta would use ODP frame motors for dusty wood machines, though it's been a long time since they were the company I cut my teeth on (drooling over the catalogs my Dad had, which I have now). In the 60's, Baldor was building some of their motors, and the classic 10" contractor saw used a TEFC Baldor motor, along with many if not most of the wood machines.

Fast-forward to the 70's or 80's, and ODP motors became common, even on saws (except for the cabinet saws). They work, but you have to blow them out regularly, in part to keep the centrifugal switch working, but also to allow the cooling system to work as designed.

As recently as a decade ago, some of their dust collectors had what looked like TEFC motors, but you could see the windings under the fan. Not much better than ODP, and fools people into believing they have a real TEFC motor.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(12-07-2017, 11:25 AM)TDKPE Wrote: I'm always surprised that a company like Delta would use ODP frame motors for dusty wood machines, though it's been a long time since they were the company I cut my teeth on (drooling over the catalogs my Dad had, which I have now).  In the 60's, Baldor was building some of their motors, and the classic 10" contractor saw used a TEFC Baldor motor, along with many if not most of the wood machines.  

Fast-forward to the 70's or 80's, and ODP motors became common, even on saws (except for the cabinet saws).  They work, but you have to blow them out regularly, in part to keep the centrifugal switch working, but also to allow the cooling system to work as designed.

As recently as a decade ago, some of their dust collectors had what looked like TEFC motors, but you could see the windings under the fan.  Not much better than ODP, and fools people into believing they have a real TEFC motor.

Thank you people. Waiting for my son to get here, we'll take it apart, clean it out good. When I bought this in the 80's. There was a motor in one bandsaw motor in one box, I was given another when I bought it. (did not know it at the time)  the spare if needed lurks somewhere up in the garage attic.........

thanks.................