Bittering agent addition to house paint?
We have a dog that chews on our window stools. I think he does it because he's an a-hole, but my wife says he does it when we get home late which does seem to be the pattern. Of course, once he chews one up, he doesn't do it again--that is until I replace it. So now that we're selling our house, I need to replace two stools but want to make sure he doesn't chew them up before we move out.

I've tried the bitter apple spray and I swear he'd use it like a condiment if he had thumbs. Pulling out his teeth is off the table.

Is there something I can add to the primer/paint to immediately make him think twice--not cyanide?

Thanks
Paul
(12-07-2017, 08:43 AM)atgcpaul Wrote: not cyanide?

Sorry, can't help.

I've heard tabasco works... but it will probably stain.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

I have no first hand experience, but maybe a few thoughts:
I doubt that there is anything to mix into the paint. Could be wrong. If there is, I think once he (the dog) tastes it the damage is done.
Sounds like some intensive training might be in order. I'm no dog trainer, so I can't suggest how to go about it.
A former neighbor had an electric wire mounted on his fence to keep his "digging" dog in. It gave a mild electric shock and it worked. One shock and the dog stayed away from the fence. Maybe just the windows or the side of the house could be protected with something like this.
I wonder if stools made of solid vinyl or with vinyl/aluminum cladding would work.
Since you only need to protect them until sold, could you put up some temporary fencing around each window?
The most common buttering agent that I'm aware of is Bitrex, and it can (apparently) be used in paint. Many years ago I worked in one our plants that used denatured alcohol to make many of our products, and Bitrex was the denaturing  agent of choice. It has the use of protecting children from all sorts of nasty things now. We produced one product that while it didn't taste good, it also didn't taste bad....and a few young children drank some. We added Bitrex to the formula as a solution.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
How about just a heavy sprinkling of cayenne red pepper all over the stool and on the floor? Easy cleanup
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Why on the floor, will it sting paws?
A hot wire attached under the window stool? First bite and Zap!

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

My thought is to apply some masking tape, then put some HOT sauce on the tape.

Peel off the tape when time to show the house, reapply as needed.
Big Grin
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
(12-10-2017, 01:25 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: Why on the floor, will it sting paws?

Just another added place for them to stay away from.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Daughter and I were working on a project of hers in the shop and had the dog along.  I had some snap traps set for mice and baited with peanut butter.  The dog is pretty fond of peanut butter and started nosing around, but I told him to leave it and he did - for a while.  Daughter and I got busy and weren't paying attention to him, but he finally worked his way over to one of the traps and stuck his nose in it.  First we knew of it was at the snap of the trap.  To say the dog was startled would be an understatement.  He reared up and went straight over backwards, not to one side or the other, but nose over whump straight back.  He was a big dog so it was pretty impressive and we were already laughing pretty hard when he landed against some boards leaned up against the wall and tipped them over on top of him scaring him some more.  I just about wet myself I was laughing so hard.  He didn't bother the other traps then or any time thereafter.