New Rough Cut coming in Spring 2018
(12-09-2017, 05:18 PM)Steve N Wrote: He had quite the following from You Tube videos, and other pursuits online. He had extensively promoted himself similar to Stumpy Nubs, and Marc Spagnuolo. What I heard is a clamor for more of him, was what attracted PBS to his doorstep, rather than him auditioning to get the part. He probably did get additional exposure, sure national TV will do that but he was as well known as Schwarz, with infinitely more talent. If not for being a member here, and for readers of Pop Woodworking Schwarz is like me when people were going on about Paul Sellers. A lot of Huh, who????????

Maybe you're right, but count me in the camp that never heard of Tommy MacDonald before he was selected to host Rough Cut.  I'm betting his Rough Cut audience was 100x his YouTube audience.  I don't know.  I also think - given his sponsor PBS station - that his Boston area residence had a whole lot to do with his selection for Rough Cut.  For every hobbyist woodworker who follows YouTube-er's like Spagnolo and Sellers, I'm also betting there are 100x more that don't.  I'm not saying that every once-in-awhile I don't go watch a YouTube episode on how to do something, but I just don't have time to spend hours on the computer watching YouTube.  YMMV.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
A lot of u tubers just spray ya with whatever. T Mac actually did You Tube videos that were exactly like the PBS show, complete projects, actually more complete than on PBS, sometimes several parts. Eli Cleveland, who was a friend on the show like "Al" started on the PBS thing then poof he was gone. He was the camera, and pretty much the direction when they were still you tubing. I always felt Eli was a much better woodworker as well. I'm not positive but I think they were both North Bennett Street woodworking alumni's. But the U tubes were by no means the schlocky variety often seen.

Eli's mention on IMDB is "Eli Cleveland ... technical adviser (5 episodes, 2012)" I haven't a clue, maybe bad blood between he and Tommy, or PBS, but all of a sudden they were a huge production. I liked the You tubes a lot more, Tommy still couldn't speak worth a durn, but the subject's were very interesting, and I liked the way Eli presented it.

Here it says Eli was 5 years behind the scenes, so what does IMDB know
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Before he was on youtube or on PBS he had a video podcast that was incredible.  He built an absolutely gorgeous Chippendale Highboy and showed EVERY aspect of the process.  It was probably 20-30 hours of footage.  You can't even begin to show something like that in a episode-driven TV show, and it's too long-form to keep this generation's interest on Youtube.  Anyway, TMac got a lot of flack because of his enthusiasm and demeanor, but I always felt that it was mostly misplaced.  We should be supporting all the woodworking-oriented media we're are given so that we might get more.

Reed
You don't need a parachute to go skydiving unless you want to do it more than once. . .
(12-09-2017, 10:38 PM)Steve N Wrote: A lot of u tubers just spray ya with whatever. T Mac actually did You Tube videos that were exactly like the PBS show, complete projects, actually more complete than on PBS, sometimes several parts. Eli Cleveland, who was a friend on the show like "Al" started on the PBS thing then poof he was gone. He was the camera, and pretty much the direction when they were still you tubing. I always felt Eli was a much better woodworker as well. I'm not positive but I think they were both North Bennett Street woodworking alumni's. But the U tubes were by no means the schlocky variety often seen.

Eli's mention on IMDB is "Eli Cleveland ... technical adviser (5 episodes, 2012)" I haven't a clue, maybe bad blood between he and Tommy, or PBS, but all of a sudden they were a huge production. I liked the You tubes a lot more, Tommy still couldn't speak worth a durn, but the subject's were very interesting, and I liked the way Eli presented it.

Here it says Eli was 5 years behind the scenes, so what does IMDB know

i liked Eli and Al too. Al seemed to be more of a cabinet maker and Eli was definitely better at design (and woodworking in my opinion) than Al or Tommy. I liked Tommy's enthusiasm and watched the show as often as I could. Hey, it's a woodworking show, sure I'll watch it! I never understood people picking a decent woodworking show apart because of someone's hair cut or accent.
Confused

Frank
I can tell you, having produced five 1/2 hour episodes of my own show, that it IS a lot of work, and I am doing it ALL by myself in addition to still making a living out of my shop!

But if you can't wait for the new season of Rough Cut, there is a new episode of Woodcademy just released for a total of five now!
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
(12-14-2017, 04:36 PM)handi Wrote: I can tell you, having produced five 1/2 hour episodes of my own show, that it IS a lot of work, and I am doing it ALL by myself in addition to still making a living out of my shop!

But if you can't wait for the new season of Rough Cut, there is a new episode of Woodcademy just released for a total of five now!

Ralph,
I'm sure it takes a lot of effort to do this and make a regular living. You show is very good and I appreciate the effort!

Frank
(12-14-2017, 04:36 PM)handi Wrote: I can tell you, having produced five 1/2 hour episodes of my own show, that it IS a lot of work, and I am doing it ALL by myself in addition to still making a living out of my shop!

Always the plugger. Hey I didn't see a hole in here.
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

WOW!

Brings back old memories when I used to eagerly look forward to the next issue of FWW.

Getting ready to sell my woodworking library of over a hundred books and many many periodicals, including FWW volume one, number one.
A laid back southeast Florida beach bum and volunteer bikini assessor.

Wink
(12-09-2017, 05:18 PM)Steve N Wrote: He had quite the following from You Tube videos, and other pursuits online. He had extensively promoted himself similar to Stumpy Nubs, and Marc Spagnuolo. What I heard is a clamor for more of him, was what attracted PBS to his doorstep, rather than him auditioning to get the part. He probably did get additional exposure, sure national TV will do that but he was as well known as Schwarz, with infinitely more talent. If not for being a member here, and for readers of Pop Woodworking Schwarz is like me when people were going on about Paul Sellers. A lot of Huh, who????????

There was quite abit of difference between Tommy Mac and Schwarz.  I really like Tommy and his attitude and how friendly he was but that was what Chris was missing was personality and his arrogance was a little to much for me also.  It seemed he wanted to be a Roy Underhill and he just did not have the personality for it.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(12-14-2017, 07:02 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: There was quite abit of difference between Tommy Mac and Schwarz.  I really like Tommy and his attitude and how friendly he was but that was what Chris was missing was personality and his arrogance was a little to much for me also.  It seemed he wanted to be a Roy Underhill and he just did not have the personality for it.

It's his voice and constant reminders of "no debt", "I buy everything I test", the constant hawking of tools and saying he doesn't........he wore thin for me long before he left PWW. BUT, give credit where credit is due: his publishing of woodworking classics is the right thing at this moment for our hobby. Some complain about the prices, but given the limited market, the books are appropriately priced. Now, his Crucible Tools? He desparately needs to learn manufacturing efficiencies, there is only so long his customers will support the over-priced, over-hyped, easily available at much lower prices from others, tools he pushes. Then again, he's got his "fan-boys" that buy everything he says.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com