New Rough Cut coming in Spring 2018
(12-15-2017, 06:03 AM)Tony Z Wrote: It's his voice and constant reminders of "no debt", "I buy everything I test", the constant hawking of tools and saying he doesn't........he wore thin for me long before he left PWW.  BUT, give credit where credit is due:  his publishing of woodworking classics is the right thing at this moment for our hobby.  Some complain about the prices, but given the limited market, the books are appropriately priced.  Now, his Crucible Tools?  He desparately needs to learn manufacturing efficiencies, there is only so long his customers will support the over-priced, over-hyped, easily available at much lower prices from others, tools he pushes.  Then again, he's got his "fan-boys" that buy everything he says.

Couldn't agree more. I sometimes think half the people who buy his tools are doing so thinking they're investments. Along with the $500 Roubo book. More power to him. It's a free market so people can buy whatever they want. Maybe Schwarz wants to be the Tiffany's of woodworking.
(12-15-2017, 10:42 PM)Bentley Wrote: Couldn't agree more. I sometimes think half the people who buy his tools are doing so thinking they're investments. Along with the $500 Roubo book. More power to him. It's a free market so people can buy whatever they want. Maybe Schwarz wants to be the Tiffany's of woodworking.

Now the fanboys must buy a special $175.00 jacket, to look like a woodworker.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(12-27-2017, 06:48 AM)Tony Z Wrote: Now the fanboys must buy a special $175.00 jacket, to look like a woodworker.

Big Grin
Big Grin
Big Grin 

A unisex design for girls too, I suppose?

As they say, strike the iron while it is hot. $175 is modest; he should have set it at $225 and then argued that any lower price point would mean it would have to be an imported item. Oh, how about a deluxe version at $500, with his name hand-stitched on it?
Big Grin

Next item on the drawing board to match the jackets?...perhaps some special woodworker's shoes that would guarantee proper body posture and balance when using a hand tool. Made in USA, of course. (And special discount for anyone who owns one of the new jackets.)

Sorry, I am not interested in chasing after any fan club "collectibles." And I also am not interested in being a "fashionable" woodworker. I'd spend that kind of money on lumber.

Simon
In all fairness, I will again repeat my very high regard for his publishing of many out of print woodworking books, as well as the printing of new works. His group has a real talent in that area, but I would like to see the self promotion of "blah, blah, blah.....really good paper, pay my extra high price" toned down.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
I’m excited for a new season or return of Rough Cut. Rough Cut has been my favorite woodworking show or podcast of all time. I also like Marks and Marc S. Wood whisperer. Tommy’s early podcasts were excellent. His projects were items I wanted to eventually build and I felt he was a woodworker from my own generation. I also loved his use of hand tools and expressed love for LN stuff. I was buying everything I could possibly afford in LN at the time.

I too get a chuckle at how many have blasted his choice of words, accent, or cliches. Who really cares? The guy has brought forth the best woodworking in many step by step details
that I’d never seen before—all while sharing his true thoughts. Tommy use to post here and it would be great if he still did.

(12-27-2017, 06:48 AM)Tony Z Wrote: Now the fanboys must buy a special $175.00 jacket, to look like a woodworker.

So, in other words, you can probably buy the same jacket directly from the manufacturer for $125 but you have to pay an extra $50 for his logo sewn inside? Eventually all of it will get old when people catch on. In the business world, nine out of every ten new products fail to take off. How he's able to hit home runs every time is amazing.

I too enjoy some of his books, some of them.
I never got a chance to watch much Rough Cut because I'm always at work when it's on, but this week I caught a couple episodes where he's building his new shop..

HOLY TOOLS..  It's filled with brand new, high-end european style tools, probably worth more than his new building, which he brought a guest on to show him how to use since he hadn't yet tried them. I wonder if he actually owns them.