Brush vs Brushless Cordless Drills
Is there any significant difference in performance and/or longevity that makes it worth the extra $30, besides the extra 0.2Ah per battery?  

Commutator brush motors have been around since electric motors were invented, and are a very mature technology.  So I'm not worried about brush life, especially since I got 20+ years from my Skil 9.6V cordless (that still worked, but the batts are shot and so is the charger) that I even drove drywall screws with at one time.  My needs aren't great, but it would be nice to have a driver, too.  My son has the DW drill/driver, and it's his favorite among three brands he owns, but told me that knowing what he knows now, he'd prefer they were separate.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-20-Vo.../300870665

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-20-Vo.../204373168
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Depends on what you will be doing with the tool???   I worked for a door company. We installed doors and hardware. The Drills/guns got a workout each night. Most of them lasted about a year, the way we beat on them. We needed the biggest battery we could get. As far as the coreless v. brushes...both tools died the same death...bearings gave out first.

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
You're the motor guy and you're asking us? In my line of work we use small impacts to drive screws all day long. My co-workers are switching over to the brushless because it it feels better in your hand and seems to have more torque or maybe because they are the new thing. You had you last tool for 20 years so why quibble over $30.? Brushless technology seems to be lighter and more efficient and I'd choose it over older stuff anytime.
RD
------------------------------------------------------------------
"Boy could I have used those pocket screws!" ---Duncan Phyfe
I thought the point was that the brushless motors could be enough more efficient that battery life could be as much as doubled compared to the same batteries in a brushed motor. While I don't know for sure, it may be that the brushless motor can be designed to retain its efficiency over a broader range of speeds and power outputs than a brushed motor, so the use could make a big difference.

I have a little Milwaukee 12V circular saw with a brushless motor that is actually a useful tool, in contrast to previous battery operated circular saws I've attempted to use. It is clearly more efficient, but I can't tell how much of that is due to the brushless motor.

The differential in price is frequently larger than the difference between the two you link. It seems worth a try to me.
(12-09-2017, 10:18 AM)TDKPE Wrote: Is there any significant difference in performance and/or longevity that makes it worth the extra $30, besides the extra 0.2Ah per battery?  

Commutator brush motors have been around since electric motors were invented, and are a very mature technology.  So I'm not worried about brush life, especially since I got 20+ years from my Skil 9.6V cordless (that still worked, but the batts are shot and so is the charger) that I even drove drywall screws with at one time.  My needs aren't great, but it would be nice to have a driver, too.  My son has the DW drill/driver, and it's his favorite among three brands he owns, but told me that knowing what he knows now, he'd prefer they were separate.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-20-Vo.../300870665

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-20-Vo.../204373168

From my understanding the brush less motors have less friction (brushes) and somewhat more efficient but probably  not enough to notice a major difference in battery use when used around the house.  The new lithium batteries  and quick chargers eliminate the longer battery life plus.    When using my Ridgid (brush type) cordless for running screws in flooring the battery will recharge in 15 minutes,   faster than I run one out.  
 The brush less are normally a little smaller in size, if this is a consideration.    For commercial use where charging my not be a option the longer battery life could be helpful.   Roly
(12-09-2017, 12:12 PM)Richard D. Wrote: You're the motor guy and you're asking us? 

Laugh  Yeah, well, industrial motors aren't the same thing as the tiny motors used in portable battery tools, and stepper and servo- and DC motors just aren't in my wheelhouse anyway (wound-rotor induction motors are about as close as I get to a brush motor, but those have collectors, not commutators).  

I just wondered if anyone had experience with both.  It's a Christmas present.  For me.  So I guess I'll just give myself the brush-less version.  
Yes
Big Grin
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Normally, I would be all over a brushless system in preference to a brushed system.  However, I'm a little concerned about value-engineered commutation electronics.  Never wore out a brushed system.
(12-09-2017, 02:47 PM)EricU Wrote: Normally, I would be all over a brushless system in preference to a brushed system.  However, I'm a little concerned about value-engineered commutation electronics.  Never wore out a brushed system.

I agree, The gear box broke in one Makita (NIcad) and bearings got loose in a few others. I've owned 6 drills and two impact  guns since 1990. All makita. Gave a few away when I needed to buy batteries, as is was better to upgrade and get 2 new batteries.

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
(12-09-2017, 10:18 AM)TDKPE Wrote: Commutator brush motors have been around since electric motors were invented, and are a very mature technology.  So I'm not worried about brush life, especially since I got 20+ years from my Skil 9.6V cordless (that still worked, but the batts are shot and so is the charger) that I even drove drywall screws with at one time. 

Tom I think you answered your own question. For most of us it will only equate to it's the new buzzz, and if you need to run out and buy the newest cell phone, when your current one does all you want/need to do, then you would want to rush out and buy Brushless. Some trades guys can easily support the extra bux in life, and ease of use along the journey, for the typical "home guy" it's not required. I might be wrong but you don't strike me as the rush out to wait in a 12 hour line to by an I pone guy.
Big Grin
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Brushless offeres a more compact tool so it will be lighter. Around 50% longer runtime on a battery over brushed and more power.

My first brushless tool was a DeWalt 20v impact driver, with infrequent use, I darn near forgot where the charger was.  
Laugh

Ed