Saturday rust hunting
Went to a flea market in Seneca Mo and came back with a Wilton Bullet Vise.  Kinda excited because when I asked the lady behind the counter "how much for the vise" she said $50.  I said I'll take it.  Fifty three bucks and change later I was the owner of a beat up Wilton Bullet Vise.  It isn't pretty, it is dry on the internals, the handle is bent and there is a lot of welding splatter on the jaws.  But those things can be addressed with a little bit of time and elbow grease.  My wife was rolling her eyes at me buying this vise, yet I had my handy dandy cell phone and proceeded to show her how much a NEW vise costs.  A smile crossed her face.
Winkgrin  Plus I could not believe how much this vise weighs.  Can't do curls with it.   

[Image: 4R3suT8.jpg]
Sweet
Nice. How do you plan on restoring it? 
Raised
Nice score!
I picked up a couple of vises yesterday a Simplex 500 and a columbian quick release wood vise that has to be one of the oldest I have seen.  Funny what vises go for as they don't seem that complicated
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(12-09-2017, 06:35 PM)Rick Barton Wrote: Nice. How do you plan on restoring it? 
Raised

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k6n9-IaWfk

Looks pretty easy, yet maybe time consuming.
[Image: RWLl8Nt.jpg]
[Image: q8lNzhk.jpg]
[Image: 06F6DBo.jpg]
[Image: rLlD6mb.jpg]
[Image: beOF3eu.jpg]
[Image: SgPMIFy.jpg]
[Image: jBrh174.jpg]
[Image: XOMSd32.jpg]
[Image: YuxkMwJ.jpg]
[Image: VcqlkKK.jpg]
[Image: 4R3suT8.jpg]
[Image: Ruq2wKO.jpg]

So, after looking at the pics I see that the jaw pads are welded to the bosses. Does any body know how deep those welds run? I'm thinking that maybe I can file down the top of the bosses and jaws to get to the seam between both. Grrrrr....things you find after you put the cash on the table.
Looks like it had a life of abuse. My guess is that the previous jaws fell out because the screw holes crumbled. Take it apart and you will have a big rebuild on your hands. But they did a decent job of welding the jaws in place. Option #2 is to clean it up a bit and let those sleeping dogs lie. With a little love and TLC it might turn into a good user. The up side is that when you use it you can beat on it guilt free.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
I don't know what your plans are but I would list it on CL about $150 so there would be room to move and let someone else rehab it
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(12-10-2017, 01:57 PM)Bob10 Wrote: I don't know what your plans are but I would list it on CL about $150 so there would be room to move and let someone else rehab it

Yea.

Or grind the welds flush and let it go and a dab of paint and use it. I saw the welds in the first pic and thought, oh oh.
Welds have penetrated down into the cast. No recovering from that.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020