voice controlled dust collector?
Anyone try to use an Amazon Dot or similar to turn their shop dust collector on and off? My DC is 220 but I have it powered with a 110 relay and a cheap remote. It would be cool just to tell Alexa to turn it on or off, but I worry about shop noise (especially the collector itself) interfering. Any real world experience or advice?
Plan to use my dot to control my 20hp rpc and use some of the new wireless buttons too. 110v coiled devices are simple to convert to alexa. Amazon and china cheap 315mhz remote outlets make it simple to do so with a remote hub added like a Hook. There is a skill already to control the hook devices.

Guessing you saw my thread where my air solenoid is controlled via the dot.

My dc is 10hp 3ph and its controller is a bit more complicated than one contactor and a relay so i may get more creative here.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Also alex voice remote will let you control the echo or dot via voice if it is too loud.

I have been using a Echo Dot to control my Harbor Freight DC for 2 months.  Found a WiFi controlled switch, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073TR...UTF8&psc=1, that is rated at 15 amps which was easy to pair up with Alexa. it works very well as long as the noise level in the shop does not gets too loud, I can usually move closer to the Dot or talk louder to get it to respond.
Thanks guys! Mike I just went back and watched your 'bench air' video. Very cool.
Forgot to to add one thought. I tried the Echo with various tools running and different locations before proceeding with the installation. As long as you see the Echo respond in your conditions, you can feel confident that it will work.
I dunno here folks.. I'm a pretty lazy guy most days, but I can still summon the courage to reach over 3 feet to flip a switch. I'm still living in the stone age where I drag extension cords around the shop. I have to do the drudgery of walking 6 feet and THEN bend over to unplug the heater so I can run the table saw then reverse the whole thing when I'm done.. Imagine if I had to walk an entire 7 feet to use a hand plane! My life's a living heck..
(12-10-2017, 09:00 PM)ed kerns Wrote: Anyone try to use an Amazon Dot or similar to turn their shop dust collector on and off? My DC is 220 but I have it powered with a 110 relay and a cheap remote. It would be cool just to tell Alexa to turn it on or off, but I worry about shop noise (especially the collector itself) interfering. Any real world experience or advice?

Alexa, turn on the dust collector. However, she probably won't be able to hear over the sound of the dust collector to shut off.
I have a remote control (push button) on my dust collector. I just find it handy and tend to use the collector more. I also have one on my radio, and my Christmas tree. My Kids have them on some Christmas lights in their rooms, I do that for safety.
If you do the remote outlets i discussed in my thread you get a remote and echo integration switching. They work simultaneously.