Carving Chisels Question
I did some carving on a earlier project, if you want call it that. (half azzed carving?)  I carved some details into a kayak fisherman (very few) and a Bass, (a few more) that I had cut out on the scroll saw.  I also used the chisels to shape them into a more 3-D appearance.  I won't say they were even close to relief carved, but they looked better than just a silhouette.

Now, I am working on a toy box for the Granddaughter (#6, who's two) and am adding some enhancements, a Carved Grumpy Dwarf and I'll cut the letters on the bandsaw to spell out "Pick Up Your Toys."  (All the grandkids call me "Grumpy.") Hence the carving of the Dwarf.  I am a good way thru the carving, although it still needs smoothing and some more detail on the face and some more details here and there.  It's FAR from perfect and I need a lot more practice to ever be called GOOD at this....

... Oh wait, I know... lessons, lessons would help a lot... but....

The Dwarf and the letters will go in the front panel of this Toybox, which is Maple Ply and Walnut Framing:

I have been attempting this with a set of CHEAPO dull chisels with poor quality blades that chip easily and won't sharpen well and won't hold an edge.  This set was in a box of chisels I bought at an estate sale, and had never been opened.  Meh... if I get better at it and start to do it more often... I will probably decide to BUY real carving chisels.  I have seen a six chisel set that I think might be worth having, (Lee Valley or Woodcraft) run from $85 on up to $Holy Crap.

Recommendations?
Also, any recommendations on YouTube Vids that could help me improve?  Would you recommend relief carving with chisels or knives?
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Do you watch Bob Ross painting vids and say to yourself, "yea, I can do that?" Then you actually try and paint and find out that your a hamfisted, butter fingered, painting wannabe and say to yourself I better keep to painting the side of a barn because I have no real talent in finesse paintings?

Well if you say yes to that long winded question, then you will understand that you either were born with the artistic gift or not. I can build a house, but I cannot carve a decoration into the front door. Plain and simple, you might want to learn how to carve and get all the goodies to do the carving, but if you ain't go the skills then it will turn out to be a somewhat nice representation of a carving. If you are building the chest for a relative, then sure, your attempts will be appreciated, but if you are trying to sell the piece, then you might want to think about farming out the carving portion.

I wish I had an artistic side but the Good Lord chose not to give me that particular gene. I compensate by delegating my artistic interests to my wife. If I want to learn to play the piano, I don't. I just ask her to play. Easier on the ears for both of us.
Jim,
The Swiss Made brand by Pfeil is what I use (not that I'm a carver).  It's sold by woodcraft and another company out of Canada.  I wouldn't buy a set but instead buy 'em as you need them for specific jobs.  I am lucky to have a large selection I bought from a woodworker who became ill and had to give up his shop.  I also have some gouges by Henry Taylor and Ashley Iles that are high quality too.

As far as lessons go Mary May has some free classes on her website and she list the gouges you need for each project.  You can also sign up for $15/month - that gives you access to all the lessons.  That's a good way to get started.

Lonnie
(12-10-2017, 09:43 PM)BrokenOlMarine Wrote: I did some carving on a earlier project, if you want call it that. (half azzed carving?)  I carved some details into a kayak fisherman (very few) and a Bass, (a few more) that I had cut out on the scroll saw.  I also used the chisels to shape them into a more 3-D appearance.  I won't say they were even close to relief carved, but they looked better than just a silhouette.

Now, I am working on a toy box for the Granddaughter (#6, who's two) and am adding some enhancements, a Carved Grumpy Dwarf and I'll cut the letters on the bandsaw to spell out "Pick Up Your Toys."  (All the grandkids call me "Grumpy.") Hence the carving of the Dwarf.  I am a good way thru the carving, although it still needs smoothing and some more detail on the face and some more details here and there.  It's FAR from perfect and I need a lot more practice to ever be called GOOD at this....

The Dwarf and the letters will go in the front panel of this Toybox, which is Maple Ply and Walnut Framing:

I have been attempting this with a set of CHEAPO dull chisels with poor quality blades that chip easily and won't sharpen well and won't hold an edge.  This set was in a box of chisels I bought at an estate sale, and had never been opened.  Meh... if I get better at it and start to do it more often... I will probably decide to BUY real carving chisels.  I have seen a six chisel set that I think might be worth having, (Lee Valley or Woodcraft) run from $85 on up to $Holy Crap.

Recommendations?
Also, any recommendations on YouTube Vids that could help me improve?  Would you recommend relief carving with chisels or knives?
Here's a Youtube video you may like, Jim....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyF7z5RnVAY

You may want to try correcting the tools you have already before springing for more..,.If the edges are chipping, that means the steel is too hard or the bevel angle is too low for the hardness of the wood you're cutting and it is "turning" the edge. You may be able to correct the problem by micro-beveling them...I like to sharpen tools on a very low angle for "ease of cut" but that wont work for all woods...Tools that stand up well to soft woods wont always work well for the harder ones...From that stand point, you may be disappointed in any "set" you may buy.

Lately I have been making my carving knives out of High Speed Steel..I just wish the manufacturers would offer HSS carving tools for sale.. The availability of diamond sharpening hones and polishes makes them much easier to sharpen and maintain and they hold up so much better in use.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(12-11-2017, 06:36 AM)Tynyyn Wrote: Do you watch Bob Ross painting vids and say to yourself, "yea, I can do that?"  Then you actually try and paint and find out that your a hamfisted, butter fingered, painting wannabe and say to yourself I better keep to painting the side of a barn because I have no real talent in finesse paintings?

Well if you say yes to that long winded question, then you will understand that you either were born with the artistic gift or not.  I can build a house, but I cannot carve a decoration into the front door.  Plain and simple, you might want to learn how to carve and get all the goodies to do the carving, but if you ain't go the skills then it will turn out to be a somewhat nice representation of a carving.  If you are building the chest for a relative, then sure, your attempts will be appreciated, but if you are trying to sell the piece, then you might want to think about farming out the carving portion.

I wish I had an artistic side but the Good Lord chose not to give me that particular gene.  I compensate by delegating my artistic interests to my wife.  If I want to learn to play the piano, I don't.  I just ask her to play.  Easier on the ears for both of us.

I know that I'll never be a talented Carver... and I appreciate the input.  I just want to carve for myself and some accent for the family pieces.  I know I'm not a "Talented" woodworker, or leather worker.  My work is acceptable for those who receive it.  I have done pieces that turned out very well... but compared to several here... I'm a hacker. 
Laugh
Yes

What did Clint say in "Heartbreak Ridge"...

"A man's gotta know his limitations." 
Big Grin
Jim in Okie
(12-11-2017, 08:26 AM)Mr Eddie Wrote: Jim,
The Swiss Made brand by Pfeil is what I use (not that I'm a carver).  It's sold by woodcraft and another company out of Canada.  I wouldn't buy a set but instead buy 'em as you need them for specific jobs.  I am lucky to have a large selection I bought from a woodworker who became ill and had to give up his shop.  I also have some gouges by Henry Taylor and Ashley Iles that are high quality too.

As far as lessons go Mary May has some free classes on her website and she list the gouges you need for each project.  You can also sign up for $15/month - that gives you access to all the lessons.  That's a good way to get started.

Lonnie

Thanks for the input, I'll look at those.  I think the ones I would use the most would be the V-Gouge and the Spoon, plus a flat and angled chisel.  Basically the chisels that come in the six piece set.  I'll look at Mary May's offering.  I don't plan to get all into the carving at this time.  I am pretty happy with building my boxes.... and the added leather deal...
Jim in Okie
I did a lot of whittling from age 5 or 6. Grandpa was an artist and maker. In the short time I knew him, copying his examples, including drawing 'cat houses' in his record book, spawned a lifelong passion. Back then I could aspire to and reach his skills. I recently found my chip carving tools were much sharper and easier to use than an instructor's. However, the technical guidance was valuable.  Continued practice will inform your hands and eye.

Watch carving videos on Utube. Watch them about making your own O1 and HSS carvers. You can spend a lot of money for the same you could bang out between two hammers. Or, the grinder. Look at carving knives (whittlers). There probably is one in your pocket. 

Christmas 2017 is too early for learning technical skills, but not the magic you already possess. You and the children have a wonderful relationship. Make your art for them reachable.
(12-11-2017, 08:26 AM)Mr Eddie Wrote: Jim,

Lonnie

I would second everything Lonnie has said here.

Mary May posts sometimes on the SAPFM forum and I decided to check out her website. I was impressed enough with the free video tutorials that I signed up for the monthly membership. I'm primarily interested in the period furniture carvings she goes over and many of those would be pretty difficult to figure out on your own I think.

I've started to compile a collection of chisels. This might take awhile due to the fact that when new any carving chisel worth owning is going to cost somewhere between $30 up to $60. With a little patience and luck you can find used chisels for quite a bit less. I stumbled across an Ashley Isles set of 6 chisels and gouges that were less than $10 a tool and in pretty nice condition. I've also started ordering a few fishtail gouges from Woodcraft via Amazon so I get free shipping.
Big Grin

[Image: carving_chisels_005.jpg]
(12-10-2017, 09:43 PM)BrokenOlMarine Wrote: I did some carving on a earlier project, if you want call it that. (half azzed carving?)  I carved some details into a kayak fisherman (very few) and a Bass, (a few more) that I had cut out on the scroll saw.  I also used the chisels to shape them into a more 3-D appearance.  I won't say they were even close to relief carved, but they looked better than just a silhouette.

Recommendations?

Really nice projects, Jim! I'm betting your grand daughter loves the toy chest.
Smile
I'll keep fiddling with Grumpy, smoothing and adding details. I'll cut out the letters, then call this one done after they are all stained and waxed.
I appreciate all the input. That's the great thing about this site. If you don't know, ask. Someone will share. I'll watch the swap and sell, or lee valley, woodcraft, and the others...
When i'm ready... something will turn up.
Jim in Okie