Carving Chisels Question
(12-11-2017, 02:15 PM)BrokenOlMarine Wrote: I'll keep fiddling with Grumpy, smoothing and adding details.  I'll cut out the letters, then call this one done after they are all stained and waxed.
I appreciate all the input. That's the great thing about this site.  If you don't know, ask.  Someone will share.  I'll watch the swap and sell, or lee valley, woodcraft, and the others...
When i'm ready... something will turn up.

Rick's picture reminded me to mention how nice it is to use fishtail gouges.  You can get into tight spots easier.  And as Jack pointed out you can take almost any 'stick of steel' and turn it into a chisel / gouge.  It would be interesting to know what steel and treatments each brand uses.  There is a distinct difference between the three brands I have.  In particular, the Henry Taylor gouges look and feel very different from the other two brands.

Lonnie
(12-10-2017, 09:43 PM)BrokenOlMarine Wrote: I did some carving on a earlier project, if you want call it that. (half azzed carving?)  I carved some details into a kayak fisherman (very few) and a Bass, (a few more) that I had cut out on the scroll saw.  I also used the chisels to shape them into a more 3-D appearance.  I won't say they were even close to relief carved, but they looked better than just a silhouette.

Now, I am working on a toy box for the Granddaughter (#6, who's two) and am adding some enhancements, a Carved Grumpy Dwarf and I'll cut the letters on the bandsaw to spell out "Pick Up Your Toys."  (All the grandkids call me "Grumpy.") Hence the carving of the Dwarf.  I am a good way thru the carving, although it still needs smoothing and some more detail on the face and some more details here and there.  It's FAR from perfect and I need a lot more practice to ever be called GOOD at this....

... Oh wait, I know... lessons, lessons would help a lot... but....

The Dwarf and the letters will go in the front panel of this Toybox, which is Maple Ply and Walnut Framing:

I have been attempting this with a set of CHEAPO dull chisels with poor quality blades that chip easily and won't sharpen well and won't hold an edge.  This set was in a box of chisels I bought at an estate sale, and had never been opened.  Meh... if I get better at it and start to do it more often... I will probably decide to BUY real carving chisels.  I have seen a six chisel set that I think might be worth having, (Lee Valley or Woodcraft) run from $85 on up to $Holy Crap.

Recommendations?
Also, any recommendations on YouTube Vids that could help me improve?  Would you recommend relief carving with chisels or knives?
I don't usually recommend a "set" of chisels but this one is an exception..I have had this brand for several years and can highly recommend them....All extremely sharp out of the box..the "V" tool is superb, IMO....I can't sharpen one any better than they did and I have been at it for many years with a lot of sharpening machines and stones..It leaves a polished finish on the wood cross or with the grain, makes no difference! Flex-cut {which I also have} can't hold a candle to them, the way they come from the factory. They are a joy to use...

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/shinw...gKe2PD_BwE
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Thanks for all the input...
I will look forward to the new year when I can fiddle with the carving after the other projects are behind me.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Another session this morning and Grumpy is nearly done.  Some work left on the hands, That left hand needs the thumb completely reshaped and the fingers more defined.  Of course... all the sanding. 
Rolleyes  I want to smooth the areas that were lowered for contrast, and round all the edges.  Then I will stain grumpy, wax him, and add him to the front of the box, with a couple brads and glue. 
Smirk

FAR from a great carving, but just like Grandpa Grumpy, he's got wear and tear. 
Laugh  I know my daughter will love it.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Nice job, Jim.
Cool
I think that is turning out nicely BOM. 

I have a few Pfeil gouges I like using but I have promised myself to not even bother trying to carve something that actually looks like anything until I get better. For now, I simply use them to texture a surface for a look other than smooth. I like the effect, the work is pleasant, I may never try to carve a realistic form. There are many things you can do with wood.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
Here is a previous thread from this past summer
https://forums.woodnet.net/showthread.php?tid=7334098

which recommended these from Lee Valley http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/Page.as...3332,43334 (And I gladly paid shipping :-) [reference to another current thread])

Like you, I am playing around, so I have not used them much, just some practice pieces.  The chisels do work well. 

Dave Diaman also stated they were good (not the best) set of chisels, and if you check the thread mentioned, you will see that Dave knows his stuff when it comes to carving.

There also is a training site mentioned in the thread.  I watched one video, and it helped greatly.  sometime next year, when I get some time, I will pay the additional for the other lessons.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe