engraved dogs
(12-13-2017, 06:38 PM)Tynyyn Wrote: Do you know if those were stamped , carved by hand, cast, or etched?

You may want to follow one of the links at the bottom of the OP's post.
The lady is both an artist and a master!
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
(12-13-2017, 06:38 PM)Tynyyn Wrote: Do you know if those were stamped , carved by hand, cast, or etched?

These are hand engraved
Now you got me curious. In your toolengraver link it says you use a v-shaped tool. How in the world did you engrave the ovals? Did you have a rest for your hand or did you eyeball the cutting.

FWIW, that is just plain artistic. Very nice and professionally accomplished by a skilled operator. Wonderful example of metal smithing.
(12-15-2017, 03:39 AM)Tynyyn Wrote: Now you got me curious.  In your toolengraver link it says you use a v-shaped tool.  How in the world did you engrave the ovals?  Did you have a rest for your hand or did you eyeball the cutting.  

FWIW, that is just plain artistic.  Very nice and professionally accomplished by a skilled operator.  Wonderful example of metal smithing.

If you were able to look at them in person, you would be able to see that the bottom of the custs comes to a point, just as it would if you were using a vee gouge in wood.  The graver is hand held so curves are no problem. LOTS of practice is a big help!
How much time is involved for a hand plane engraving? Do you have a pattern or is the design "fly by the seat of your pants?" I've see some Google images in the past of this type of workmanship and always thought that the folks who did the engraving 200 years ago were pure artists. The planes looked superb and I'm sure it took a lot of time to engrave it. Man, what a great talent you have and a wonderful eye for making a plane beautiful. Two thumbs up!!!
(12-15-2017, 04:40 PM)Tynyyn Wrote: How much time is involved for a hand plane engraving?  Do you have a pattern or is the design "fly by the seat of your pants?"  I've see some Google images in the past of this type of workmanship and always thought that the folks who did the engraving 200 years ago were pure artists.  The planes looked superb and I'm sure it took a lot of time to engrave it.  Man, what a great talent you have and a wonderful eye for making a plane beautiful.  Two thumbs up!!!

I hand draw the pattern onto the plane before I start cutting, even though the finished cuts may change slightly as I go along. and LOTS of practice! Glad you like my work!
Big Grin
Can you show a pic of the tools you use to engrave?  Enquiring minds want to know.
Big Grin
(12-16-2017, 04:44 PM)Tynyyn Wrote: Can you show a pic of the tools you use to engrave?  Enquiring minds want to know.
Big Grin

Attached Files Image(s)