PSA - When Mineral Spirits is NOT Mineral Spirits!
Sorry if this is common knowledge, I feel stupid.  

I picked up some of this Klean Strip MS from Home Depot.  I normally use MS for cleaning off sanding dust, or for a quick check of how grain looks, cleaning brushes etc. 

I opened it up, poured some into a rag and wiped it on my project only to immediately see that it was milky white and nothing like what I expected so I stopped wiping it on immediately. 

Normally MS evaporates away in minutes. It's been over 24hrs and the wood still looks wet. 

Not sure if I'll have to sand it off or if it'll eventually dry or what, but be careful woodworkers, this stuff is not what you'd expect!  

A quick google search shows that I'm not the only one to be bamboozled by this product.

Attached Files Image(s)

That which causes the odor is what makes it Mineral Spirits. I never buy that stuff.
(12-11-2017, 11:40 AM)daddo Wrote: That which causes the odor is what makes it Mineral Spirits.  I never buy that stuff.

Thanks for posting this.  I'm not sure if I would have known the difference, and might probably have done the same thing.
(12-11-2017, 11:40 AM)daddo Wrote: That which causes the odor is what makes it Mineral Spirits.  I never buy that stuff.

"Odorless" was the first thing I spotted.

Ed
I think the key is the word "GREEN" on the label.  I've bought gallons of Klean-Strip Odorless MS in the metal can that is not as you describe.  However, it should more accurately be called "Low Odor" MS, because it isn't exactly odorless.

[Image: 030192940068.jpg]
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

(12-11-2017, 01:22 PM)Bill Wilson Wrote: I think the key is the word "GREEN" on the label.  I've bought gallons of Klean-Strip Odorless MS in the metal can that is not as you describe.  However, it should more accurately be called "Low Odor" MS, because it isn't exactly odorless.

[Image: 030192940068.jpg]

Yah I've used that same product as well which further led to the confusion.

The wood still looks wet and almost feels soapy for lack of a better word..  I still have some sanding to do so hopefully it'll not get in the way.
The "odourless" and "non-flammable" on the label would both suggest it's NOT mineral spirit, which is basically Naptha, and both has an odour, and is flammable. 

Should be able to find a MSDS on that product some place that will say what's in it, but it's safe to say it's not Naptha. 

Might work fine for thinning paint etc, but it's not MS (or Mineral Turpentine as we call it here)
Mound thanks for the heads up. Will not be buying any of that.
Welcome to California boys!
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
RD
------------------------------------------------------------------
"Boy could I have used those pocket screws!" ---Duncan Phyfe
Being a noob woodworker information like this is appreciated. 
Yes