Paint and rust removal on Vintage equipment
I’ve done a 12” Northfield jointer, a ‘50’s Unisaw, a PM65, and a Delta turret RAS. I’ve got an Oliver 399 and Porter Cable OSS in the queue. Anyway, I prefer the angle grinder with an assortment of wheels. For large flat surfaces you can’t beat the Norton Rapid Strip discs. Much better than the HF version, as said above. I follow with Super Clean prior to paint. But I also use a number of other different methods - paint stripper, electrolysis, etc. I might try a needle scaler soon too. I also plan to buy a tumbler from HF for my next projects, to clean the little bits easier.
(12-20-2017, 12:34 PM)cvillewood Wrote: I’ve done a 12” Northfield jointer, a ‘50’s Unisaw, a PM65, and a Delta turret RAS. I’ve got an Oliver 399 and Porter Cable OSS in the queue. Anyway, I prefer the angle grinder with an assortment of wheels. For large flat surfaces you can’t beat the Norton Rapid Strip discs. Much better than the HF version, as said above. I follow with Super Clean prior to paint. But I also use a number of other different methods - paint stripper, electrolysis, etc. I might try a needle scaler soon too. I also plan to buy a tumbler from HF for my next projects, to clean the little bits easier.
I've been told that a crock pot with soapy water will remove the paint pretty quickly.  You can find them at yard sales very cheap.

The vibratory versions of the tumbler are fairly cheap and don't damage delicate parts as much.  For some reason if you look for "bullet casing polishing/tumbling" the units are cheaper.

Ball bearings as media won't remove any material but will smooth over roughness by peening with the balls.  Left long enough you will have a mirror finish.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.