Train Tracks
(12-12-2017, 10:05 PM)Scoony Wrote: Anyone ever make wooden train tracks?  Daughter said that her son wanted a choo-choo train for Christmas and wondered if I could make them. Yes, it would have been cheaper to simply buy them, but I am hard headed, besides can't seem to find walnut and cherry train tracks. Once you make the jigs, they are actually simple to make. Need to make pattern router sleds for the curves to speed up that process. 

Looks interesting.
Cool
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I think I would cut just female ends on both ends. Then I would shape a long piece of stock shaped to male/male. I would the make slices and glue them in one end of each piece of track.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Another option is to glue up the entire layout and route the grooves afterwards. You could even make it from a single sheet of Baltic birch.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(12-12-2017, 10:05 PM)Scoony Wrote: Anyone ever make wooden train tracks?  Daughter said that her son wanted a choo-choo train for Christmas and wondered if I could make them. Yes, it would have been cheaper to simply buy them, but I am hard headed, besides can't seem to find walnut and cherry train tracks. Once you make the jigs, they are actually simple to make. Need to make pattern router sleds for the curves to speed up that process. 
About 30 years ago I made a 3 foot long track for my kids using router bits, etc. that I had on hand.  We recently found the box with the tracks along with the homemade track, now mygrandchild is using the same track.