Winkgrin 

Well...there are a few others...
Rolleyes
Uhoh 

And a few other wood bodies...
Winkgrin 

Maybe a few "special" planes?
Winkgrin  

Got room for one more picture, I think....
Rolleyes  

There are a few sitting on a shelf under the bench.....mainly a few Dunlaps, an Anant A4.......Just extras.
Rolleyes 

About like my saws and drills.....think I have too many?
Uhoh
Confused
Laugh
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(12-13-2017, 07:22 PM)bandit571 Wrote: ....think I have too many?
Uhoh
Confused
Laugh
Winkgrin

Yes
Yes
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

No, not even close to too many.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
With your No. 8 metal and woodie, do they cut the same or do you like one over another? Same with the No. 3's. Do you have one that you continually pull out of the till and the others sit there because they don't cut as well at the one you really like?

I have a Diamond Edge No. 7 which cuts like a dream. Yet the No. 8 is a dog and I rarely touch it because I just cannot get it tuned. Same with three No. 3's. One is outstanding while the other two suck. Makes great visuals when I open my till door, but when in use I'd like to throw them away because they just don't work as well as the best one.

I wanted a No. 45 for a long time and finally came across one at a decent price. Too much fiddling to get a blade set and sharpened so in my mind I decided that if I need cove, or stiles, or half rounds, I'll just go and buy the matching sets of woodies. That way I can justify a wall of woodies.
Just don't start "collecting" them or they'll start to really take up space. Collectors are sick, sick people.
Uhoh
No
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
You got that right, all you collectors are sick...
If you have more than (20, 21, 22, 23) twenty three planes...
You have issues.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
There are 6 "go-to" planes I usually reach for...

There are two #7s in the shop....they are rotated as needed
A Stanley #5 with a slight camber usually starts things..
A millers Falls No. 11 for smaller lengths
A Stanley #4 to smooth things out.....depending on the size of the parts, a #3 sometimes is used instead
A Stanley #45 for grooves, beads, and rebates....and dados.   Just takes practice to get used to.....like it better than the corded routers
A Stanley # 60-1/2 Low Angle Block plane.   I can even "shoot" an edge with it.  

The 22" long wooden try plane will come out, when doing LONG edges.   The #8 still needs tuned up,  at 10 pounds, it is a bit on the heavy side.   There is a #6c and a #5-1/2 that  get used.....when the bigger planes feel too heavy to use for half a day. 

That  Red Jack plane?    It has a extreme cambered iron, and acts as my scrub plane.   The Millers Falls No.14 acts as a long smooth plane.

I tend to rotate the #3 and #4 smoothers......which ever is sharpest that day.  

The wood bodied planes are for when the old arms get tired, as they are about half the weight of the iron ones.   Weight is nice, as long as you are pushing a plane forward, but....then you have to lift it a bit, to bring it back to the start point.   Once or twice isn't too bad....but, try it for an hour or three.....
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
I've ended up with working sets of wooden single-iron planes, wooden double-iron, transitional, and metal planes.
And for me a working set is six planes.

Apparently I can ski down several slopes at once!
Looks like a pretty good start.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
(12-14-2017, 01:15 PM)DaveParkis Wrote: Looks like a pretty good start.

+1

I see room for more.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com