free shipping
(12-14-2017, 07:29 PM)Strokes77 Wrote: Hatin on LV won't go over very well around this joint.

They've been nothing but fabulous every time I have dealt with them.

Guy just joined today and only reason I see was to crap on LV. Rob Lee treats everyone with the utmost respect.Look at what he does for the auction. Strokes77,you have got it right.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
I know i have not wanted to pay giz shipping on small items where it amounts to 20-35%% or more and i love the griz team. I just choose to deal with my wants with other vendors or wait till its worth it. Its a tough pill to swallow getting those shipping quotes on tiny items.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I have ordered from there .Was what it was . Came as it should have . To Much ... I am cheap .

[Image: image.php?encI=X55g9%3ADDiii.%2FWBs.JvVD...Y%2CHbZt.z]

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

(12-14-2017, 05:40 PM)Cecil Wrote: You can go to Amazon.  There you only need to spend $25 to get free shipping.  Of course you could pay the $100 bribe to get better service.
That's what I thought until I understood what else comes with Prime other than the expedited free shipping (and it is much better service); you also get music (which I stream in the workshop, while working in the yard and in my car), books (my bride reads a lot of the free content), and Fire TV, for <$40 you can buy the "Fire Stick" at Best Buy, plug it into your TV and get all sorts of very good content, including movies and original series ("Catastrophe" is one of my favorites, a little raunchy for some but funny as all get out).  I'm happy with the value-add prop and will sign up again when it comes around for renewal, but if you don't use the TV, books and music, I see your point.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Always had good service from LV. Excellant quality goods.
They probably won't miss a persons business that only orders 99 cent hinge.
(12-15-2017, 01:58 PM)GNP Wrote: Always had good service from LV. Excellant quality goods.
They probably won't miss a persons business that only orders  99 cent hinge.

That reasoning isn't quite right; 99 cent order was his first and he could have ordered $350 in his next order, or more down the road. If a company would value a new customer only when a big first order was placed, you wouldn't want to do business with it at all.

The OP does have a point about paying shipping that was 15 times the cost of the item. But shipping often is not part of the profit stream for a business, more a cost recovery or an offset, as shipping charges levied on other orders may not cover themselves. I suppose LV is just passing on the shipping cost it incurs onto the customers. It is a zero sum game; if they offered free shipping on all orders over a certain amount year round, the prices of some of the items would have to go up. That would not be fair to those who can shop physically at one of the retail stores.

Ultimately, it is up to the buyer to decide if he can bite the shipping cost -- sometimes you have to if you aren't able to find the thing you want elsewhere.

I have no issues with LV shipping charges since return shipping is included, though I never have had a need to use it.

Simon
(12-16-2017, 01:09 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: That reasoning isn't quite right; 99 cent order was his first and he could have ordered $350 in his next order, or more down the road. If a company would value a new customer only when a big first order was placed, you wouldn't want to do business with it at all.

I reluctant to post anything as this thread has already dragged on longer than the free shipping, but nowhere did he say or imply that the $.99 hinge was his first order with Lee Valley.
The same logic still applies. If it were his nth order for 99 cents, his n+1th order could be $500. Why would a business ( I am not saying LV was) not be valuing a customer just because the value of an order was small?

My point is the value of the order should not make the OP a more or less valuable customer, as you made it out to be. Happy holidays!

Simon
(12-16-2017, 07:01 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: My point is the value of the order should not make the OP a more or less valuable customer, as you made it out to be.

As another point of clarification, I never made it out to be anything. Why would you say that I expressed an opinion on a relationship of order size and customer value?
Now why would a company offer free shipping, without a bottom limit threshhold? Does anyone here honestly think shipping is so free, that a $.99 item can be shipped at a cost so low, that a company can make money?

Ever compare Amazon Prime prices? They're typically a tad higher to compensate for free shipping (plus don't forget the yearly fee!).
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com