A really neat thought on getting wood to turn with
The YouTube video is just over an hour long but it was really neat to watch and see that you do not need longs to turn with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BXbK5kZcgk

Tell me what you think
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(12-14-2017, 06:18 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: The YouTube video is just over an hour long but it was really neat to watch and see that you do not need longs to turn with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BXbK5kZcgk

Tell me what you think
Didn't have time to watch the entire video Arlin, but I sure would NOT recommend using a hardened steel ice pick as a pusher on a power saw..The hand is too close to the blade if it slips..and if the pick slips and contacts the blade, it could be thrown into the sawyer's gut..I think it is a dangerous practice, but IF I did choose to push with a metal rod {which I don't}, I would use aluminum..not the hardened steel of an ice pick or a screwdriver.
Crazy
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(12-14-2017, 07:48 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: .................
Didn't have time to watch the entire video Arlin, but I sure would NOT recommend using a hardened steel ice pick as a pusher on a power saw..The hand is too close to the blade if it slips..and if the pick slips and contacts the blade, it could be thrown into the sawyer's gut..I think it is a dangerous practice, but IF I did choose to push with a metal rod {which I don't}, I would use aluminum..not the hardened steel of an ice pick or a screwdriver.
Crazy

Good thing you stopped watching before he started turning with a ragged old torn up glove on his rest hand.

Arlin, that's a bowl from a board method, he's just making his own board. What jumped out at me right away was, instead of dealing with one pith he has six in that turning. maybe with the drying process and condition of the wood it's not a problem.
(12-14-2017, 08:39 PM)Angus Wrote: Good thing you stopped watching before he started turning with a ragged old torn up glove on his rest hand.

Lyle Jamieson does that too. Drives me crazy!
I just did this for the idea.  I know he does a lot of things wrong in turning but using branches was a cool idea.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I don't live where there are hardwood forests with wood for the picking.  My impression is it seems like an awful lot of work just to get enough wood to make a bowl.  He's very thorough, but his presentation is so slow, I had to keep skipping ahead.  It took him over an hour to present what probably could have been done in less than half an hour.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(12-16-2017, 09:49 PM)AHill Wrote: I don't live where there are hardwood forests with wood for the picking.  My impression is it seems like an awful lot of work just to get enough wood to make a bowl.  He's very thorough, but his presentation is so slow, I had to keep skipping ahead.  It took him over an hour to present what probably could have been done in less than half an hour.

I played it at 2x speed and it worked well. Most videos I cannot speed up that much and stand to listen to them. This one I could.
(12-16-2017, 09:49 PM)AHill Wrote: I don't live where there are hardwood forests with wood for the picking. 

Move here.  I have wood all over the place from when this land was logged and can spend a lifetime making oak bowls if I wanted to.  I will never ever run out of practice stock.
(12-17-2017, 08:54 PM)crokett™ Wrote: Move here.  I have wood all over the place from when this land was logged and can spend a lifetime making oak bowls if I wanted to.  I will never ever run out of practice stock.

Well, I am moving, but not to NC.  I'm moving to Orlando, Florida next month.  Still not a lot of forests, but way more trees than the desert!
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(12-18-2017, 10:24 AM)AHill Wrote: Well, I am moving, but not to NC.  I'm moving to Orlando, Florida next month.  Still not a lot of forests, but way more trees than the desert!
In addition to native species, we have many exotics such as Camphor, Indian Rosewood, Tamerind,, Liptus, Silky Oak, Beefwood and lots more that do not come right to mind..I have a huge Camphor tree within 150ft of where I am sitting...And Black Walnut trees are not too uncommon just north of Orlando.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset