Walt
(12-19-2017, 04:23 PM)Skip J. Wrote: Walt was my first Secret Santa giftee... that stinkin' RyanC assigned me his name and was laughing forever about me sending coals to Newcastle...  As luck would have it, Walt mentioned an old book he didn't have, so I sent him mine. Of course, I've done without it all these years since.  But it was great to be able to send him something!  Of course he was healthy back then.

I don't know if it was you that bought Walt an Andrew Lunn dovetail saw, but whoever did ending up sending a diamond to Newcastle.  He was amazed with it as a gift and cherished it. Said it was the absolute best hand saw he ever used! 
I think it was pre Chris Schwarz write-up, so the price was comparable to dovetail saws from the best makers today. Still a unexpected wonderful gift, and know it was appreciated by an old tool guy.
Please forgive me if it wasn't you, I am just passing this on to show he could appreciate a good tool, even though he had so many himself.
"You can't always get what you want"
(12-20-2017, 04:57 PM)Carheir Wrote: who ended up with Walt's stash of tools?  Auctioned off ,, family   Just wondered.  Really enjoyed his posts of tools and often lusted for some of them..

The hand tools went to a friend of his in Australia who sold them on his website. Some of his power tools were sold when Rick (Roundtoit) and I ran an estate sale for his wife. I don't know what she did with the stuff that didn't sell. I remember it was the worst attended estate sale I've ever seen. IIRC, we had 5 people for the entire day.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
(12-23-2017, 08:20 AM)RoundToit Wrote: I don't know if it was you that bought Walt an Andrew Lunn dovetail saw, but whoever did ending up sending a diamond to Newcastle.  He was amazed with it as a gift and cherished it. Said it was the absolute best hand saw he ever used! 
I think it was pre Chris Schwarz write-up, so the price was comparable to dovetail saws from the best makers today. Still a unexpected wonderful gift, and know it was appreciated by an old tool guy.
Please forgive me if it wasn't you, I am just passing this on to show he could appreciate a good tool, even though he had so many himself.

Hello Rick;

No, it wasn't me; I just sent him the book for secret santa and never did anything else with him.  I probably didn't reveal who I was and he never knew.  I did read everything he ever posted.... but I had Lynn here close by for my tool guy, so there was no need. I do miss him and his posts..... and I greatly appreciate you keeping us in the loop all this time...
Skip