Video from 1940
I ran across this video from the 1940s and thought it might be of interest to others on the forum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGAyBdUxWaU

jason
(12-17-2017, 01:25 AM)navakahn Wrote: I ran across this video from the 1940s and thought it might be of interest to others on the forum:

jason

Very cool video. Thank you
Wink 
(12-17-2017, 01:25 AM)navakahn Wrote: I ran across this video from the 1940s and thought it might be of interest to others on the forum:

jason

Thanks.  Enjoyed it.
(12-17-2017, 01:25 AM)navakahn Wrote: I ran across this video from the 1940s...

That would actually make it a film from the 1940s, converted to video...

I understand Lincoln wanted to stay home that fateful night and watch a video of the original "Star Wars," but Mary said she didn't want to watch that dumb movie again, and couldn't they go out to a play, instead?  On small decisions does history turn.

Just teasing. Thanks for posting that. I liked the bit where the carpenter's cutting diagonal bridging for the joists by having an apprentice hold the 2x4 and cutting the bridging directly, no measurement. Neat trick, if you've got an apprentice or a patient teenager.
Very cool, thanks for sharing.

If OSHA was in existence back then, that film wouldn't exist
Smile
I always have thought it would be awesome to have film of our house being built. Its nothing special really, but being a limestone 4-square built in 1921, I'm sure it would be interesting to observe the different tradesmen of that day.
(12-17-2017, 05:06 PM)wood-chips Wrote: Very cool, thanks for sharing.

If OSHA was in existence back then, that film wouldn't exist
Smile

I noted the lack of guarding on the wide belt driven pulley, near the beginning.  My grandad wishes OSHA was around then.  It was one of those that cost him his arm.  It caught his sleeve and pulled him in.

to the OP, thanks for posting.

One other thing I noted.  The plywood was flat from the factory !
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
(12-17-2017, 07:47 PM)Cecil Wrote: I noted the lack of guarding on the wide belt driven pulley, near the beginning.  My grandad wishes OSHA was around then.  It was one of those that cost him his arm.  It caught his sleeve and pulled him in.

to the OP, thanks for posting.

One other thing I noted.  The plywood was flat from the factory !
We had a machine shop in town all the way up through 1955 that had flat belt drive running all the machines..No guards..The frame building "shook" all day and it had wood floors..
Big Grin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

That was fun. It always fascinates me that you can still hear the nuances of the British accent in American voices as late as the 40's/50's. My grandfather narrated educational and travel films which we watch as kids and we could hear it in his voice also.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

That was fun to watch! I especially enjoyed seeing the various sets of tools laid out in the background. That chair maker had quite a set of carving chisels!
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop