Upping My Dust Collection System Game
Moved into this rented space about six months ago, and I've finally begun installation of a proper dust collection system.  The space has very high ceilings, and I'm working alone, so installation was a bit challenging.  I'm using galvanized duct venting from Home Depot.  At this point I've connected my planer and jointer, and the system is working great.  Looks a bit clunky, but it's off the ground and very functional.  

I have 8-inch duct from the collector, and about half way I reduce to 6-inch, and near the equipment I go down to 5-inch for the planer and 4-inch to the jointer.  

With blast gates closed I actually collapse the 8-inch near the collector, did not expect that.

Attached Files Image(s)

Looks like a lot of ductwork diameter for that collector. Glad it is working well for you. Congrats on that space.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I'm very much a function over form guy...so if it's works it's good. I think it looks nice but agree with Mike on the size of the duct...at least the 8" part.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Yeah I probably went oversize on the 8-inch ducts but I'm connecting a 20-inch planer and 12-inch jointer, they can throw out a lot of chips.  I'm also adding several more pieces of equipment, table saw, 22-44 drum sander, bandsaw, chop saw, floor sweep.  I figured better to oversize, and minimize pressure drop.  

It's been difficult but a fun challenge, doing this alone, with no ceiling to use for support.  I've been tripping over hoses and power cords up to now, so having the cords and dust pipe up off the ground is a big improvement.
(12-11-2017, 01:09 PM)ez-duzit Wrote: The combination 6"x48" belt/12" disc sander is the iconic machine for most shops because of its versatility, and has been my most used sander. Mine is an ancient Delta/Rockwell with a coarse belt for rough shaping and finer disc for more finished work. I also have a 1" belt/8" disc sander, a 24" disc sander, an edge sander, an oscillating spindle sander, and have just picked up a 22-44 drum sander.

(12-18-2017, 06:52 AM)Danny in Houston Wrote: Yeah I probably went oversize on the 8-inch ducts but I'm connecting a 20-inch planer and 12-inch jointer, they can throw out a lot of chips.  I'm also adding several more pieces of equipment, table saw, 22-44 drum sander, bandsaw, chop saw, floor sweep.  I figured better to oversize, and minimize pressure drop.  

It's been difficult but a fun challenge, doing this alone, with no ceiling to use for support.  I've been tripping over hoses and power cords up to now, so having the cords and dust pipe up off the ground is a big improvement.

The issue with the 8" duct as a main is that you loose efficiency for that size collector. If you were running a 5hp cyclone with an 8" inlet, then that would be fine. But on that DC, the inlet is probably 5 or 6 inches and normally that would be the max size duct going into the machine.
(12-18-2017, 07:03 AM)EvilTwin Wrote: The issue with the 8" duct as a main is that you loose efficiency for that size collector.  If you were running a 5hp cyclone with an 8" inlet, then that would be fine.  But on that DC, the inlet is probably 5 or 6 inches and normally that would be the max size duct going into the machine.

Hard to understand any loss in efficiency?  Can you explain?  How does minimizing pressure drop decrease efficiency?  If the duct was so large dust collects due to decreased velocity, I could see that as a potential problem I guess.  My vertical runs up hill are all 6-inches or less.   

I've never installed / used a duct system like this, big learning curve.  I taped every seam with clear gorilla tape, it's air tight.
The main concern I would have is air speed in the duct. You choke it sdown to 5" at the planer, when that air hits the 8" duct it will slow down considerably since it has more area to carry the air, it might drop to a speed (I didn't do the math) that won't carry the chips...which as I recall is in the 4000 FPM range. All this is mute if the system is worming well, that's the result you want.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I collapsed it using a 3hp Grizzly cyclone.  I will never use that thin crap again.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
(12-18-2017, 08:12 AM)CARYinWA Wrote: I collapsed it using a 3hp Grizzly cyclone.  I will never use that thin crap again.

Yeah the 8-inch section collapses with all the gates closed.  Right now I'm just making sure I leave one open.  It's a problem.
Fred's right.  Upsizing the duct work beyond the CFM rating of the fan will reduce the velocity required to keep chips and particles suspended in the airstream.  The larger ducting does maximize volume but at a loss of velocity.  If it works all's good, but if your filter starts to plug up a little and your pressure drop goes down stuff is going to start collecting in that large ducting.  

Dave D. pointed out a while back about how easy it is to collapse that thin ducting.  Your solution is the only viable one - leave enough gates open so the static pressure never gets high enough.  

John