Upping My Dust Collection System Game
(12-20-2017, 09:51 AM)Stwood_ Wrote: Mmmm yea. I didn't think about some of the lower sp home builts.
Big Grin

Not 'lower' - more like 'lowest'.
Laugh  The impeller in my '2 hp HFDC blower is only 9.85" diameter, if memory serves.  Smaller than most other HFDCs with the same blower, based on discussions on this board years ago.  Maybe one of these days I'll extend the vanes a little, but I have to be careful as the motor doesn't have a nameplate (none of them did/do, AFAIK), so there's no way to know just what the rated continuous power really is, nor the current draw at that elusive rated power. 

But if I modify it, or better yet, put a larger blower and motor unit on it, I'll have to revisit the ductwork.  It's definitely flimsy.  But it works, for now. 

Oh, and I don't have an issue with planer chips getting stuck in the 6" trunk, even though the air speed is low, but they don't want to go up the 5" drop from the 4" flex (with internal corrugations - not good) that I use for the Unisaw and the planer (I swap it between them, as I rarely use the lunchbox planer).  When I'm done with the planer, I open the blast gate at the RAS and lathe to clear out any stragglers in the trunk.

I should add that I get something like 900 cfm (measured with a pitot tube in bands at the end of the long, straight run) with all blast gates open, and it draws around 18A. But the wheel is so small that with any increase in restriction, the flow drops fast, and it normally operates at around 12A or so. That's why I opened the inlet to 9" dia. (half the dia. of the cyclone body), and the outlet is 8" flex. Anything to reduce flow resistance, since I have so little to work with.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(12-20-2017, 09:51 AM)Stwood_ Wrote: Mmmm yea. I didn't think about some of the lower sp home builts.
Big Grin

I tried the 30 gauge stuff out simply because I had it. That being said I'm running 26 gauge HVAC duct right now and it works great. All my ductwork for a 1200 SF shop cost me less than $300 which included the blast gates and a whole bunch of 45's and wye's. If money is no object great but if you are working on a budget and need to run a lot of ductwork then HVAC is a good alternative.
(12-20-2017, 10:32 AM)TDKPE Wrote: Not 'lower' - more like 'lowest'.
Laugh  The impeller in my '2 hp HFDC blower is only 9.85" diameter, if memory serves.  Smaller than most other HFDCs with the same blower, based on discussions on this board years ago.  Maybe one of these days I'll extend the vanes a little, but I have to be careful as the motor doesn't have a nameplate (none of them did/do, AFAIK), so there's no way to know just what the rated continuous power really is, nor the current draw at that elusive rated power. 

But if I modify it, or better yet, put a larger blower and motor unit on it, I'll have to revisit the ductwork.  It's definitely flimsy.  But it works, for now. 

Oh, and I don't have an issue with planer chips getting stuck in the 6" trunk, even though the air speed is low, but they don't want to go up the 5" drop from the 4" flex (with internal corrugations - not good) that I use for the Unisaw and the planer (I swap it between them, as I rarely use the lunchbox planer).  When I'm done with the planer, I open the blast gate at the RAS and lathe to clear out any stragglers in the trunk.

I should add that I get something like 900 cfm (measured with a pitot tube in bands at the end of the long, straight run) with all blast gates open, and it draws around 18A.  But the wheel is so small that with any increase in restriction, the flow drops fast, and it normally operates at around 12A or so.  That's why I opened the inlet to 9" dia. (half the dia. of the cyclone body), and the outlet is 8" flex.  Anything to reduce flow resistance, since I have so little to work with.

Have you got room in there to squeeze in a bigger impeller?
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(12-20-2017, 05:25 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Have you got room in there to squeeze in a bigger impeller?

Big Grin
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Looks like a couple inches...
Big Grin 
I've got an extra that is 13" I think. I'll have to measure it.
When I built my outside unit, I put a 14 on it. It was a Griz 4-bag unit I converted to a single outlet.
Measure yours to see if it will fit. Shaft size, etc. You can have it.
Steve

Mo.

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(12-20-2017, 06:48 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Looks like a couple inches...
Big Grin 
I've got an extra that is 13" I think. I'll have to measure it.
When I built my outside unit, I put a 14 on it. It was a Griz 4-bag unit I converted to a single outlet.
Measure yours to see if it will fit. Shaft size, etc. You can have it.

I've read some threads on other forums about replacing the impeller, and the 12" from a Rikon seems to fit the bill.  But barely fits through the opening on the housing, so a 13" won't fit, I'm afraid. 

But thanks for the offer.  If it turns out to be 12", then I'd be interested.  
Yes 

Here are a few of those discussions, in case anyone wants some private time reading on their iPads.
Laugh 

http://www.beaubilt.com/2017/08/11/large...collector/

http://lumberjocks.com/topics/48783

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.p...t-Impeller

The comments alone are worth the read.  
Laugh
Tom

(12-21-2017, 10:51 AM)TDKPE Wrote: I've read some threads on other forums about replacing the impeller, and the 12" from a Rikon seems to fit the bill.  But barely fits through the opening on the housing, so a 13" won't fit, I'm afraid. 

But thanks for the offer.  If it turns out to be 12", then I'd be interested.  
Yes 

It's a 13", nice, welded up and balanced. 1.096 shaft opening (seems odd)
Steve

Mo.

WaterlooMark 02/9/2020