"Cleaning" some recycled wood
Looking for some recommendations on how to clean the surface
I have some recycled Douglas Fir that I want to use to frame a mostly antique ceiling tin for my SIL, as a gift for Christmas.  
There is a noticeable amount of dust/dirt on the wood, and wanted to scrub it down before she hangs it on the wall.  The look I am going for is recycled, distressed wood look, without sanding or needing to use a wire brush

The wood is very thirsty
Smile
Available choices I have on hand:

DNA     
Mineral Spirits    
soap and water   
Murphys Oil soap

Thanks for any suggestions
Dave

(12-18-2017, 10:22 AM)Dave S® Wrote: Looking for some recommendations on how to clean the surface
I have some recycled Douglas Fir that I want to use to frame a mostly antique ceiling tin for my SIL, as a gift for Christmas.  
There is a noticeable amount of dust/dirt on the wood, and wanted to scrub it down before she hangs it on the wall.  The look I am going for is recycled, distressed wood look, without sanding or needing to use a wire brush

The wood is very thirsty
Smile
Available choices I have on hand:

DNA     
Mineral Spirits    
soap and water   
Murphys Oil soap

Thanks for any suggestions

Soap and water, a plastic brush (carpet brush), and a garden hose should do it. A pressure washer might be a little aggressive but would work without soap.
I cleaned some up in the shower with a nylon bristle brush and lots of water. I let it dry for a couple weeks before I used it. Stickering it under the couch should be doable if there isn't too much.
id start with compressed air. any time ive worked with recycled wood and wanted to keep the look, the less i did the better it looked
I'm gonna be Captain Obvious here, but just make sure there isn't any metal left over in that wood. Don't want to wreck your blade when crosscutting it!
Near future projects:

-Curly Maple display case
-Jatoba and Quilted Maple dresser
Air, soft brush, air, brush, air, etc
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Thanks all.  
Cool
Dave

Air, don't use a saftey nozzle either......

Ed
Power wash - depending on how hard you want to go after it.
Check out a Porter cable restorer. Hand held brush sander.