Stanley/Bailey #5, #6, #7C
I have started to clean out my deceased brother-in-laws garage. Came across the plane. They are in need of cleaning and refurbishing. What are they worth?
(12-18-2017, 01:37 PM)castguy2003 Wrote: I have started to clean out my deceased brother-in-laws garage. Came across the plane. They are in need of cleaning and refurbishing. What are they worth?

That would depend on age, condition etc. Pictures would help a lot.
(12-18-2017, 01:37 PM)castguy2003 Wrote: I have started to clean out my deceased brother-in-laws garage. Came across the plane. They are in need of cleaning and refurbishing. What are they worth?

What is a used car worth? Without more info, that is the same sort of question.

First recommendation is to NOT clean them until you find out more about them. Patina frequently adds value if youu happen to have a collectable.

Second recommendation is to say where you are (at least roughly). You might be close enough to one of the members here who is well versed in the IDing of planes.

Sorry for the loss of your brother.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(12-18-2017, 02:21 PM)iclark Wrote: What is a used car worth? Without more info, that is the same sort of question.

First recommendation is to NOT clean them until you find out more about them. Patina frequently adds value if youu happen to have a collectable.

Second recommendation is to say where you are (at least roughly). You might be close enough to one of the members here who is well versed in the IDing of planes.

Sorry for the loss of your brother.

I am in SE Wisconsin. Hope to be able to get photos up soon. All I have done is blow them off with air so far.
(12-18-2017, 08:29 PM)castguy2003 Wrote: I am in SE Wisconsin. Hope to be able to get photos up soon. All I have done is blow them off with air so far.

As others have said above, determining values will be really hard without numerous pictures of each plane: the sole, the front and rear handles, behind/beneath the frogs, and the front shot  of the blade beneath the cap iron, etc. 

In general, older planes (types 10-13) have better resale value than the post-war types (17-20). However, a lesser valued type # plane can still perform wonderfully and defy the typical value associated with types. Also, the type of wood on the handles, cracks, dings, holes, abuse, rust, etc. can drastically impact the value of older planes as well. Nevertheless, a more desirable, older type of the #5 perhaps might bring $35-60, with the latter being unlikely if there's obvious flaws. The #6, could bring $40-65 (they're not as popular but if it's old, really nice, and has all the right signs it could fetch as much as $80, though not probably). The #7C is a crap shoot IMO. I've nabbed them in rough condition for $35 but seen them sell for nearly $100, as well. I'm not a fan of the corrugated sole, but others are. Likewise, I prefer a #6 over a 7 any day; but, others don't. Hope this gets you started. Pictures (well, the right kind) will help. 

Wish you the best in working through family holdings. You obviously are trying to do a family member right!

AE
Gotta learn it sometime, so take your time, enjoy, and make sawdust...
Archie