How far can I safely offset my jointer's knives from each other?
Long story short I accidentally hit the end of a staple while face jointing some material the other night, and I had to offset my knives further to compensate for that since the line it left on the board was so thick. Am I offsetting them too much, though? I've heard that it's necessary to keep things pretty balanced, especially if something is rotating at high speeds, so am I offsetting them too much? I've got pics of both the nick and the position of the three knives below. Note how one is sticking out towards the rabbeting table about 1/8" and one is pushed probably 1/16" out the other side. Is this too much offsetting to be safe?

EDIT: I'm just gonna order a new set of knives and get these re-sharpened after the holidays. Still, I think it's a good thing to wonder about for future reference...how much offsetting is too much? Just want to get as much life out of each set of knives as possible between sharpenings.

Attached Files Image(s)

Near future projects:

-Curly Maple display case
-Jatoba and Quilted Maple dresser
Shifting the knives left/right won't change the balance.  As long as the knives don't hit anything it's fine.  
John
(12-18-2017, 07:04 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Shifting the knives left/right won't change the balance.  As long as the knives don't hit anything it's fine.  
John

Good to know! Funny enough, I did tighten a gib when it was too far over and it got caught on something...didn't realize it until I started it and the cutterhead didn't even complete a full turn. I had to take the whole fence assembly and mount off and turn it back by the pully. I already got new knives on the way (along with 6 new gib screws), which makes the third set I have. As I think I said earlier, I'll get the other two sets sharpened after the holidays are over.
Near future projects:

-Curly Maple display case
-Jatoba and Quilted Maple dresser
(12-18-2017, 08:17 PM)KingwoodFan1989 Wrote: Good to know! Funny enough, I did tighten a gib when it was too far over and it got caught on something...didn't realize it until I started it and the cutterhead didn't even complete a full turn. I had to take the whole fence assembly and mount off and turn it back by the pully. I already got new knives on the way (along with 6 new gib screws), which makes the third set I have. As I think I said earlier, I'll get the other two sets sharpened after the holidays are over.

Now you'll remember to always turn the cutterhead a couple of turns by hand anytime after working on it to make sure nothing hits or binds. 

John